8 Channel Audio with these headphones? Yes?

Unholyskorn86

I was just wondering, and I hope this is the right place to ask this....

Would this be wasting my 8 Channel onboard audio card?

Using Formula IV motherboard with...

Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset
SupremeFX X-Fi 8-Ch audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0 support
Audio Channels
8 Channels

AND

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air dynamic headphones

This is a website that sells them...

http://www.byay.net/audio-technica-...-p-292.html?osCsid=lop45esjn3fah7muamidkla981

And also...

http://www.audio-technica.com/world_map/

What I mean tho is, would this be 8 channel or crappy 2.0?

If so, I want the best gaming headset available that would make use of my sound card for the money. (don't got loads)

Thanks again for your help!

your sound card support 8-channels, but that headphones is just stereo.

if you wanted a surround headphones, you must get the one with real surround with multiple inputs, not just the ordinary "virtual" ones. example: Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 and Roccat Kave 5.1.

If you notice, they have 3x stereo miniplug for the surround sound and another for the mic.

there are some others like Tritton AX260 / AX Pro, Sharkoon X-Tatic, Turtle Beach EarForce HPA2 which have multiple speakers on each side of the headphones.

Ok, thank you so much for your help! Any idea if any headphones are really 8 channel? Or is my card 100% for a speaker system?

Ok, thank you so much for your help! Any idea if any headphones are really 8 channel? Or is my card 100% for a speaker system?

well the supreme x-fi was actually designed for speakers, but they can also be used for headphones. they're not designed for headphones, since they did not feature 'headphone amplifier'. but it should perform noticeably better than ordinary onboard sound solution (i.e. realtek).

if i were you i will not really worry about 5.1 vs 7.1. i used 5.1 speakers for gaming before and it was fantastic. the 7.1 i know are the razer megalodon and logitech g35, which uses virtual technology instead of the multiple drivers found in headphones mentioned above, e.g. Turtle Beach R8

ear-force-ak-r8.jpg

Necro post: Just an FYI surround headphones are a gimmick, you have TWO Ears and when using headphones with Two Speakers you should get the best audio quality.
Surround sound is only needed when you are listening to speakers that are not attached to your ears IE in front of you, which is why we have surround systems that put speakers around you to simulate the natural directional hearing your ears normally do, which is also produced when attaching speakers to your head.
listen to this with headphones in 2 channel

Back