8 step process

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmark

My computer was throwing up all kinds of pop up alerts stating that spyware had been detcted and it always sent me to a screen trying to sell me spyware protection.

I followed the 8 step process to clean things up and located many undesireable things. The alerts have stopped.

Below are the logs produced.

Thank you so much for you help in this matter.

Larry

So has anyone had a chance to look at my report logs. If so, have I done everything I need to do or is there more?

Larry

Sorry- sometime a questions gets lost between the cracks:

Mbam has remove the Trojan Zlob infection. Have SAS remove the tracking Cookies. I'll help you reset Cookies to block these.

Looking at your HijackThis log, I see:
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
This appears to be the original AVG v1- way out of date, meaning you're not getting updates. For an antivirus program, not getting updates is as bad as having no AV at all!some earlier version-Most current is V8. You need to update that ASAP.

But I see AVG v7 loading here- still out of date:
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')

Otherwise, the log is clean. Please take care of updating the antivirus, have SAS remove the Tracking Cookies, then run HijachThis again and attach log.

For Cookies: Open Internet Options (through Tools in IE or Control Panel)> Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie settings'> CHECK 'allow first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

If speed is an issue, you have several processes starting at boot that do not need to:
QuickTime
Real Player
TomTom
Adobe Reader
Dell QuickSet
HP Smart Select.

Thank you so much for the reply. First off, I am a computer dummy. How do I stop the QuickTime, Real Player,TomTom, Adobe Reader Dell QuickSet, and HP Smart Select from starting up on boot up. And yes, my boot up process takes forever!

Thanks for the help

Larry

You may find this free program helpful for this: StartupRun:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html

Guide for making your PC run faster>> Common "Pointless" Processes
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic104136.html

Many do not realize that the ONLY processes needed to start at boot are the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad if laptop and network process if on network. Everything else-including printer-can be manually started as needed.

Your first step will be unchecking the process on Startup:
Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the processes for these> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'. Stay in Selective Startup.

This alone won't stop all the unnecessary loads, but it's where you should begin. Follow by the StartupRun program.

For Cookies: Open Internet Options (through Tools in IE or Control Panel)> Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie settings'> CHECK 'allow first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

I went through this and there is nothing in there that mentions cookies!! Now what?

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

I went through this and there is nothing in there that mentions cookies!! Now what?

Are you saying that after you open the Privacy tab and click on the Advanced button there there is no Cookies screen coming up? The entire screen should be for the Cookie handling.

Ok, I found it and got it figured out, the cookies are as you requested and I updated AVG.

Now, how do I have SAS remove the tracking cookies?

Thanks

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back