I completed the 8-step process yesterday because I have had problems for a few months now while on the Internet. I'm using IE7. My problems: 1) Am not able to access certain websites that I once was able to access without fail (one ex. = www.sos.mo.gov/mdh. I can still access www.mo.gov but any links on their site to sos will not open. I am able to access site from other computers so I know it works). 2) The other problem is, intermittently a website I'm on stops responding and I have to alt+ctrl+del to end task as nothing else will work. Of course, the Internet connection is closed and I have to sign back on and start all over. This happens infrequently while on miscellaneous sites but happens habitually while on one site in particular; Ancestry.com. In fact, I can no longer have any other websites open while on Ancestry or I get "Not Responding" problems every 2-3 minutes. When I'm just on Ancestry, without any other programs or websites running, it still happens but less frequently - maybe 10 to 30 minute intervals. I don't think the problem stems from Ancestry. My previous computer did not have these problems. I’ve been using my current computer for 6 months and issues have only been on the current computer (it’s a couple of years old but was infrequently used until my other crashed). I am on lots of genealogy sites and believe that one of them caused the problem that I'm having now. I have Windows XP and Norton360 v3. Also, when I ran a complete scan on Norton at the start of the 8 steps all that came was 1 low risk (tracking cookie) which I had removed, and in Registry Cleanup I received: The key, "CLSID\(F4F30C01 - A7B4 - 492e - 943E - 58A7CF2D9DD6)\1nprocServer32". Refers to a missing file, "C:\Progra~1\Americ~1.0\MYCALE~1.DLL". Attached are the logs. There isn't much to them. Please advise.