$800 budget for my first Intel Core gaming computer

Hi guys. I'm building a new computer. I enjoy gaming and watching videos. I'm ordering all the parts from this site (superbiiz.com). This place was recommended to me by a coworker.

Here's the current build list:

• Case: Antec Six Hundred No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case
• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 2.93GHz 1066MHz 3MB LGA775 CPU, Retail
• Motherboard: Asus P5N-D Core 2 Quad/ nForce 750i SLI/ DDR2-800/ SLI/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
• Memory: Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G DDR2-1066 4GB HyperX Memory Kit
• Video Card: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD4550 512MB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
• Hard Drive: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive
• Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive (Black), Bulk w/o Software
• Power Supply: Topower/Epower ZUMAX ZU-500W 500W 20/24pin ATX V2.0 Power Supply
• Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
• Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit(1-Pack), OEM
• Monitor: Acer V193WEJbd 19 inch Widescreen 50000:1 5ms DVI(HDCP) LCD Monitor (Black)

Any advice on that would be appreciated.

I'd highly recommend an E8400 processor and to not go with the P5N-D... horrible board

also, HD48xx cards are selling pretty cheap these days... i would probably recommend at least a 4850 for DX10 gaming

As per EXCell's comments in reference to the minimum GPU.

I game with a HD4670 and to be completely honest, it struggles when compared with newer offerings these days. If you want to play relatively GPU intensive games at high resolutions then you really need to be looking at a minimum of a HD4850, or even jumping to a 5xxx GPU if your budget can allow for it.

If it was me, I'd sooner save money by not getting a G15 keyboard, and get something cheaper for now, and use the saved cash to get a better GPU. You can always get the keyboard later on if needs be.

With an 800.00 budget and needing all the peripherals, you are sort of squeezed, but you are not going to be able to game at any resolution or anything but low settings with the 4550 VGA. Its a terrible gaming card. 80 SPU's don't get you much at all in way of graphics. Like Excell EDIT****and Leeky***:) said at least a 4850, or a 4670 if you don't mind lower settings. Just an opinion, but if you can squeeze another $100.00 into the budget, you can put together a i3 540/P55 motherboard setup.

You can do a lot better with that budget; try this build instead:
Grand Total = ~$810; a decent keyboard+mouse combo from Samsung\Genius won't cost you much more, and with around $50 in rebates your overall cost will be below $800.

You can go with this HDD if you feel you don't need the space offered by the 1TB drive or are extremely budget-limited; you can probably also save a little more cash if you use Google Checkout to buy the latter.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: I forgot that the case doesn't come with very many fans; it has space for upto 6 of them, and it ships with 2, so I recommend getting 3-4 more for the best possible cooling. Check out Scythe's Kaze Jyuni, S-Flex SFF21F and Gentle Typhoon.

[*]NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $39.99 + $2.99 shipping

Thats a lovely mid sized case that is. I use the very same thing. :) It ships with 2 120mm fans (rear and front), and has space for 2 120mm side fans.

It offers plenty of storage, tool-less hard drive and optical drivebay clips, and space behind the motherboard tray to run your PSU wiring out of sight.

I absolutely love it. If your really not sure whether to get it or not I'm quite happy to take some pics of it for you. :)

I just built an i7 950 system for $930 minus a monitor. The list is attached. All pieces bought locally. Price reflects rebates (@ $200 worth)

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
This is meant to be a gaming build; the GT 220 is not a gaming card by a long shot. Also, you've not mentioned the brand & model of the PSU; a good PSU is critical.

Some of us don't spend craptacular amounts of money on a poor build and then brag. Besides, I wasn't aware LGA 775 was phased out yet.

My machine gets at least 3-5x the performance yours does in any game, guaranteed. Some of us know what we're talking about, unlike you. Go troll another forum.

Yeah your right I don't game but i didn't want to see him get stuck with a core 2 when for a few bucks more and maybe holding off for a while he could see an i7 may be within his reach.. Not sure if this will be his only computer.

I recommended an AM3 build, not an LGA 775 one; an AM3 build allows for a better upgrade path.

Also, gaming performance depends far, far more on a good GPU; the CPU is important, but there're diminishing returns beyond a certain point.

Back