TechSpot

8800GT SLI Driver Issue

By Colin246
Nov 26, 2008
  1. I have two 8800 GT's in SLI; they work fine with driver version 169.25. However, I cannot install any of the later drivers and still be able to use SLI. Whenever I install a new driver and then enable SLI, my screen goes blank with a blinking underscore at the top-left corner. I already tried uninstalling all of the drivers on both video cards and then installing the latest one (180.48), but it doesn't work. I've heard this is a pretty common problem with 8800 GT's. I can always revert back to the oldest drivers to play in SLI, but I'd really like to have the latest drivers installed.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What are your systems specs?

3. Colin246

Colin246 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Specs:

Processor: Q6600 Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz
    Graphics Cards: 2 x BFG 8800 GT OC 512 MB
    Motherboard: BFG 680i
    Memory: 4 GB A-Data
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit

4. Tmagic650

"Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit"...

64-bit is your problem. you will have to stick with the drivers that work... at least for a while until 64-bit OS's become more popular. Are you running the latest motherboard bios?

5. Colin246

Yes, I have the latest bios for my motherboard. The drivers I downloaded were supposedly compatible with 64-bit Windows Vista, too.

6. Tmagic650

So stick with the video drivers that work for now

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

As far as I've seen - except maybe in Colin's situation - the Vista 64 drivers from nVidia have functioned just fine even in SLI. I'm not sure what the answer to your problem is, and I can understand why you'd want to update your drivers, but I don't think it's just because the 64 bit drivers aren't mature enough. There has to be some other conflict or setting that's wrong.

BTW - there are some serious performance improvements in newer drivers including better SLI support for some.

8. Colin246

I don't like the idea of using old drivers, but I guess I'll have to until someone finds the solution to this problem. It still doesn't make sense why the old 64-bit drivers work just fine, and the new ones don't. I'm very disappointed because I thought, for sure, that the 180.48 drivers would fix this issue. Thanks for the help.

9. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and my drivers work great....

10. Colin246

Yes, I have heard that many people who use the drivers with Vista 64-bit haven't had any problems, which leads me to agree with LNCPapa; the problem could likely be caused by something else. However, I can't figure out what that problem is.

11. Tmagic650

Hardware and software vary greatly from computer to computer. To say that your 64-bit Vista drivers work great doesn't mean a thing unless you compare hardware and software on each system. Colin246's SLI system works fine with older Nvidia drivers. It is not like his SLI doesn't work at all

12. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

has anyone found anything out about this problem? i am having the exact same problem as colin, but i have 32 bit vista.....otherwise my system specs are the same as his. and i also have had a major decline in performance since i built my computer, i have reinstalled windows and it is still slow.

13. Tmagic650

Your slowness might be related to your hard drive...

14. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

how would i resolve this? i have a 150 raptor

15. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

I have defraged and formated the hardrive, and its backups.

16. Tmagic650

"I have defraged and formated the hardrive, and its backups"...

With no change in slowness? Do you have another hard drive to test with?

17. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

Well i was confused when i formatted the hard drive.....because there were many many partitions.....i deleted them all and formatted the ones that it would not let me delete, but there was still 2 partitions on 1 hard drive. I do have other hard drives but they do not have windows installed on them

18. Colin246

I fixed my problem; all I did was download the latest BIOS update for my graphics cards. You said you have the same system? If so, download the BIOS update for the BFG 8800 GT OC here: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88512gtoce.aspx. Download the BIOS update under the Support tab.

19. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

ok updated.....so...enableing sli now won't make me have to system restore for the 100th time? lol

20. Colin246

That's the plan; let me know if it works.

21. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

kind of confused....so i enabled it....got the same black screen....so i rebooted, and sli was enabled.....

22. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

kind of confused now.....I updated and enabled SLI and i got the same black screen......bu then i rebooted my computer, and SLI was enabled and running fine....kind of weird.

23. Colin246

That's wierd. You're supposed to get the same black screen with the underscore, but it's supposed to return to the desktop after a couple seconds. But SLI is enabled with the newest drivers?

24. midrigs

midrigs TS Rookie

yeah lol, idk i was defraging my computer at the time so that could have had something to do with it.....but yeah it seems to be working fine.

25. Colin246

Well that's good then.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.