TechSpot

8gb Flash Drive corrupted?

By DangerDan
May 22, 2009
  1. I have a Freecom 8gb flash drive that i've been using for a while with no hassle. Lately though, it's become impossible to access the files on the drive and sometimes when i plug it in Windows prompts me to fix it. I do all the steps and all the variations of that and it eventually lets me into the drive, but a click or highlight of the documents results in Windows not responding and a necessary CAD.

I'm not in the least bit bothered about saving the files on the drive, but i would like to use the thing again. Is it saveable?

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

if you don't mind losing the files, you could do a format. this will wipe everything from the drive.

open My Computer, Right-Click the drive and select Format

3. DangerDan

DangerDan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, forgot to say that for some reason clicking 'format' won't do anything at all.

4. DangerDan

Also, attempting a format on CMD results in absolutely nothing happening either...

5. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie Posts: 85

Flash drives are cheap, why risk your data by salvaging the drive.

6. DangerDan

The data on it is just TV shows and music, all stuff that's easily replaceable. I just would rather not buy a new one.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

flash drives are volatile and by nature are fragile. If you have a flaky drive - replace it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.