8GB of memory, the new standard

By red1776
Nov 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. This subject has Been bandied about here for quite some time. It includes a topic that has lead to some rather contentious threads here on TS "turning off the page file".
    Tom's Hardware has done a rather comprehensive piece on both subjects in an interesting article:,2778.html
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Very interesting read Red, thanks for the link! :D

I'm running on 4GB at the moment, but definitely planned on 8GB when I moved over to AMD3 in the spring/summer.

So does this finally clear this matter up? :haha:

I for one have never disabled, nor would disable it. But that said, would those of us lucky enough to own a SSD actually see any slow down at all?
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,219   +157

Hell no! :haha: well not to those that have their minds made up that it will blow up their machines in a Chernobyl like disaster. I have disabled my swap file on every machine I have owned (just for the data) and had varying results, but nothing horrible has ever happened.
    ...the debate continues...:wave:
  4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

i got 6GB and i believe my swap file is still enabled... but i have like 5 hard drives lol