9200 AGP8X 128MB or 9250 PCI 256MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

eijmaster

OK. Im currently using a mobo with only pci slots. I have another (not installed) mobo which is pretty much equivalent to my current setup. Only difference is that the other mobo has an agp slot. My question is, would the agp's higher bus > the pci's memory size? I realy don't want to swap the Mobo's only to get a marginal increase in speed.

here are the details for the cards

AGP - R92L-SC3 (model #)
PCI - Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR

Thanx for the Help!

I honestly think the agp 128mb 9200 would be best option, but that's just my "best guess."
Edit: That said, I think the difference would be very marginal.

supersmashbrada said:
If you only have regular pci on that mobo then the agp board would perform best.

I agree completely but if all u do is surf the web then u would never know the difference, but if u game then u will see a lot of difference.

The core clock for the pci card is higher though. PCI = 240 AGP = 200 . yeah I'm really into gaming. Just don't have enough yet for my next Desktop build. Played FEAR for the first time on minimum settings. Its playable. Want to play it on Medium settings though. On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being minimal and 10 being able to play FEAR on minimum settings without a hitch. What do you think?

AGP for sure if you can do it. From Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/24/graphics_beginners/index.html

PCI
PCI stands for Peripheral Components Interconnect. It is a 32 bit wide bus that runs at 33 MHz, delivering a bandwidth of 133 MB/s. The PCI interface replaced ISA and its extensions (VL - Vesa Local Bus) in the 1990s, with the benefit of much higher bandwidth. PCI is the current standard for most computer add-in cards, but contemporary graphics cards no longer use PCI, as they have long since moved on to the AGP (and PCI Express) interface.

In many cases, however, computers from large manufacturers will come without an AGP or PCI Express port for future graphics expansion. In order to upgrade the graphics card on these machines, the only option is a video card with a PCI interface, but these are scarce, overpriced and have low performance.

AGP
AGP is a high-bandwidth interface designed specifically for graphics cards. It was based on the PCI rev. 2.1 specification. Unlike PCI, which is a shared bus, AGP is dedicated to one device. This allowed AGP to have numerous advantages over PCI such as directly read/write capabilities with the system memory, de-multiplexing or simplification in the organization and transfer of data, and increase clock speeds.

AGP has gone through three major revisions, with the newest being AGP 8x at 2,1 GB/s, meaning that it is eight times faster than the initial AGP standard at 266 MB/s (32 bit, 66 MHz). AGP is being replaced by the PCI Express interface on new motherboards, but AGP 8x (and even AGP 4x) still offer sufficient bandwidth for contemporary video cards. All AGP 8x cards will work in both AGP 4x and AGP 8x slots.

eijmaster said:
The core clock for the pci card is higher though. PCI = 240 AGP = 200 . yeah I'm really into gaming. Just don't have enough yet for my next Desktop build. Played FEAR for the first time on minimum settings. Its playable. Want to play it on Medium settings though. On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being minimal and 10 being able to play FEAR on minimum settings without a hitch. What do you think?

Playing FEAR on medium settings is going to take more than an agp graphics card to play without a hitch. I was running a 7950 gt oc'd and core2duo e6300 for my first rig and still had problems "no lag" sometimes. Memory bandwidth effects alot, including frame rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back