9800 gtx+ or 4850?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparton 10

hi am looking a an upgrade form my 9800 gt and cant work out which is better the hd 4850 or the 9800 gtx+ in performance? i use a 22" monitor if that helps
any thoghts?

Yes yes, it seems in the techspot review that the 9800gtx+ is better, but that was a long time ago and i am pretty sure the 4850 is better as of now.

He has a p35 board according to his specs, but we need to know your powersupply.

I don't think your link is working.

HD 4850. Cheaper than the 9800GTX+ and on par or better performance in most games.

But for a significant upgrade from the 9800GT, I recommend the HD 4870. The HD 4850 will give you a boost of 30% at best, while the performance increase from an HD 4870 will be far higher.

What resolution do you game at? And what is your budget like?

Out of curiosity, what makes the 4850 better than the 9800 gtx now, when it was not when TS did the article? Better drivers?

Actually, i thought was wrong at the time, if you look at other articles written in that first week, some even compare the 4850 to the GTX280. But yes, I would bet that the drivers have improved performance, of course, so has NVidia's cards.

It's mainly the price vs performance factor. HD 4850s can be found for pretty cheap, especially with rebates, making them a far more attractive option compared to a 9800GTX+.

usually game at 1680x1050. it is only a temporary upgrade for about 3 months while i wait for the next gen cards, long story as to why i am upgrading now and not waiting, the only down side i see to the 4850 is that it dosent have physx support which has been a big thing in games lately

PhysX is a big thing only in Mirror's Edge. So unless you are going to be playing only that, there is no reason not to buy an HD 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back