9800 pro issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just bought an ATI 9800 pro...when I install it the machine boots up runs for approx 1-2 min before it shuts down and i get a repeated fluctuating beep (low tone then high tone) this tone runs indefinitely until i turn the machine off. I have tried d/l the newest drivers and I have replaced my power supply (from a 250 watt to a 450 watt).

I have no idea whats wrong or how to fix it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Maverick

The tones are codes that your motherboard generates to tell you what the problem is. Check in your motherboard manual to see what the tones stand for and you will have your answer. :wave:

My machine is pretty old....and it was scabbed together using multiple old components....its an 840 mhz processor and I have no idea who makes the motherboard....and needless to say...no manual. Any idea how I might come by such information?

Thanks for your help

You can download Everest Home Edition to check what motherboard you have and anything else you want to know about your computer.

Using this program check to see what type bios you have. On an "Award" bios, this tone could be a signal for a damaged cpu, or the cpu getting to hot. With this program you can see the temps for your cpu, it your cpu supports this.

well you can easily find out which bios you have by actually pressing del on the first boot screen and entering the bios itself.it could be a phoenix,award modular or something.just note the name on top or the bottom.then either quote your bios here or just google for it beep codes.i think since you said its an 840 mhz processor a 9800 pro would definately be an overkill for this machine.check your agp slot and as olefarte said download the utility to find out your mobo,cpu etc. it would be very helpful later on.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back