9800 pro OC to 410 core??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caxus

I just got a retail box built by ati 9800 pro and the core clock only goes to about 410 without seeing any artifacts. According to a lot of the reviews i read it seems i've gotten very unlucky with the overclocking potential of my card as some of them got as high as 480 with most hovering around 440-450. I was just curious how other peoples' cores were oc'ing. The artifacts are very subtle though and i only seem to see them in the chimp demo and only in certain spots. I feel like these artifacts could be easily missed by someone reviewing a card.

On the up side the memory goes up to 370.

Overclocking to the average person may be a rather dangerous experience, unless you are certain of the consequences. Now, ATI's VGA cooling solutions are nothing compared to nVIDIA as far as size goes, so most OC'ed ATI VGA cards use liquid, heatpipe cooling, or other non-stock cooling to acheive high clocks. Overclocking shouldn't be used in everyday applications (running the clock at 450Mhz all the time will shorten its life) Most will overclock to see just how far they can safely go. I personally found the sweet spot on my RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB at a 415Mhz clock and 390Mhz memory. This will vary depending on your system, and cooling.

My question is - what aren't you able to do with your 9800 Pro at the default clock speed?

Yes, I really wouldnt OC unless its nessary ;) However, you just got one of the cards that isnt a big overclocker... if you really want to OC your card, buy some heavy duty cooler for it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back