TechSpot

9800GT no power source needed?

By czre
Oct 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. i just received teh 9800 gt in the mail 1024 mb pci-e. I was just looking for a power supply and noticed there isnt a slot for it. I found a spdif gnd cable which ive read is for digital sound? I would like some details if at all possible. and if i need to do anything special for my a8s-x mobo?

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

3. czre

czre TS Rookie Topic Starter

says it uses lower levels of energy but its not the galaxy edition. Pny Lrbm high performance. 9800 gt 1024

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Mant different vendors made a 'green' eco version, i think you have one of them. It uses only the 75w afforded by the PCIE slot.

5. czre

Is it normal for the screen to flickera variation of colors after the bios boot and before the windows screen? im actually reformating right now. because of some kind of error when i removed the old 8600 gts display drivers. Wouldnt let me get to my login screen. Had this regular error popup saying blah blah you didnt enter your default password blah blah. i click ok and enter my password. After i removed it. It wouldnt popup so now im reformating just cause probly could use it anyway.

6. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

You probably have something like this from PNY. And as Red said the 'green' versions don't require an extra power source.

7. czre

looks about right.