TechSpot

9800gtx or Radeon HD 4850?

By nosebleedXD
Jul 13, 2008
  1. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

HD 4850 is better, but runs very hot (about 85-90C under load). If that's an issue with you, get the 9800GTX+.
    Also, get the HD 4850 for much lesser from here.

2. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

The OP lives in Canada, so he can't buy from Newegg.

4. nosebleedXD

nosebleedXD TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 256

hmm so should i get like a crossfire motherboard

5. pcnthuziast

Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd recommend an Intel chipset since they are x fire compatible... X38/48 perhaps.

6. nosebleedXD

hmm but realy is nvidia better or ati, i've use ati for all my life i wanna switch

7. pcnthuziast

Currently Nvidia does have the most powerful card available in the form of the GTX 280, but Ati's newest entries are a much better value!

If you can afford an extra $100 or so, I would deffinately recommend getting the 4870. If not, the 4850 represents the best bang for the buck on the market right now IMO.

8. nosebleedXD

oh i see what type of mobo and stuff would you reccomend i should get if im going to upgrade to an ati

if you did not read my previous here is my post on upgrading, with specs

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic107978.html

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

A good P45-based board like the ASUS P5Q will be best as far as price and performance goes.

10. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Rage, can't you just change the heatsink fan on the 4850 and lower the temps? I remember people saying the default HSF that came with it wasn't really that good, but after they changed it to a after-market cooling it lowered the temps to something more reasonable. Also, if you're videocard is getting extreme amounts of heat you could get a PCI-slot cooling card ( I know it's newegg, but I'm just showing it ) and it could blow out the extra heat the videocard produces outside the case.

11. nosebleedXD

hmm what is the price for p5q any links?

12. pcnthuziast

Getting an after market cooler isn't needed. The reason these new cards get so hot is because the default fan speed is set really low, but can be remedied by creating/editing a profile(google: 4850 fan fix).

13. Rage_3K_Moiz

@TP, you can just ramp up the fan speed to 100% to deal with the heating problem as suggested above. The other reason I wouldn't recommend an HSF change is because it will void the warranty, besides there being a chance of killing the card if you don't attach the new HSF properly.

14. pcnthuziast

100% speed is super loud and deffinately over-kill. 50-60 will absolutely suffice and from what I've read will keep temps well under 70c even under heavy gaming loads. Also, as rage mentioned removing the original HSF may void the warranty depending on the mfr.

15. TimeParadoX

Ah... I kept the fan speed on 100% for my videocard ( 8800GTS ) and it started screeching after about 3 minutes, I looked and for some reason there was a thin piece of tape on the card's outside. It was very strange. :> The temps dropped a lot though, from 50c idle to about 44c and 57c load to 51c.

16. Rage_3K_Moiz

Check out this P5Q Pro. It's quite cheap for the features it provides and is an overall great board IMO.

17. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Can you pick a third party better than Diamond at least.

18. pcnthuziast

...like Sapphire perhaps.

19. Rage_3K_Moiz

I don't see anything wrong with Diamond's products. They, along with Sapphire, HIS Hightech and Visiontek have some of the best Radeon cards out there.

20. nosebleedXD

hmm alrighty ima think about this, would i need a new psu once again? =]

i might wanna stay on same processor for now ima kinda broke

21. TimeParadoX

Depends on how much wattage your current PSU has, open the side panel and look for the sticker on the PSU and read what the wattage level is. Around 600w would do for now, anything less and you'd risk shortage, but that's just me... I tend to go 200-300w more than I need just incase I plan on adding lots of stuff in the future.

22. nosebleedXD

yeah mine is bs right now 400w

23. fairytale00

fairytale00 Banned Posts: 65

HD 4850 is more powerful than the 9800gtx.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.