_helper.sig and windows Startup Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanfoush

Hello all,

This is my first post so I hope I followed all the directions accurately from the 8 step directions.

I have a problem with my PC (Windows XP) where when I boot up windows I get and Explorer.exe Application Error Which says;

"The instruction "0x019735ae" referenced memory at "0x019a61d8" the memory could not be "read""

I if I hit "OK" I then get another error box that says;

" Runtime error 216 at 019735ae"

If I hit OK on that box the same error messages repeat themselves 2 more times (3 total) and the an explorer window comes up with a folder called "Common" and there is one file inside called "_helper.sig". I can close this window and then everything seems ok (although a bit slow possibly).

This all started several months ago when I got some maleware that caused popups that simulated real Maleware software and tried to trick you into buying there software. I think I used Malewarebytes to get rid of it at the time.

I run CA virus scanning and did a full scan with updated virus files and nothing was found.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me. This one is driving me nuts.

Dan Kanfoush

Hi Strategic,

I disabled "realtime protection" in the CA virus scan when I did the 8 step directions. I think I did everything in the correct order with the correct programs. Do you see something that says otherwise ? If so please let me know where I went wrong and I will repeat.

Thank you.

Dan

I'm not qualified to scan the files for viruses (I'm learning). However I did notice that CA was in your log and I see nothing for Avira or Avast. CA is not a good Antivirus software, I would recommend uninstalling it and install Avast or Avira and do a complete scan.

I will try uninstalling CA tonight and installing one of the antivirus programs you have listed and will repeat the 8 step process.

I am a bit confused because in another thread on this board one of the Techs listed CA Antivirus in their top 3 of paid programs ?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

I am a bit confused because in another thread on this board one of the Techs listed CA Antivirus in their top 3 of paid programs ?

If you could post the link to that thread, I will look at it. It's just that all the mods prefer to use the 8-step process, so in turn we have to make them happy if they're the ones helping.

topic104288 (the board wouldn't let me post the link since I have less than 5 posts)

Look for the message near the bottom by blinddragon.

I have no problem uninstalling CA and trying one of the recommended AV programs. I am just trying to understand. Hopefully CA uninstalls cleanly. We will see in a couple of hours.

I appreciate the help for sure.

Dan

Not sure if you can search by that number so hear is his message;

Blind Dragon
TechSpot Evangelist

System specs
I no longer recommend AVG that much due to their installing a Yahoo Toolbar and calling it a security bar, I don't like telling the user to look out for the toolbar that you have to opt out of. Also, their product is becoming bloated and I think will eventually resemble Norton. Avast has also had some issues with their new version

Free Anti- virus preference
1) Avira Antivir
2) Avast
3) AVG

Paid preference
1) Kaspersky
2) NOD 32
3) Trend or CA

I went ahead and uninstalled CA Antivirus as you instructed. I then installed Avast. Upon reboot it started doing a "boot scan" and found 7 infected .dll files.

All were infected with "win32:trojan-gen {other}"

I attempted to choose "repair file" on the first couple found but it said "unable to repair" so I chose ignore for now for all the files.

Attached is the report generated by Avast4. I hope that this helps explain my problems !

I am working my way through the rest of the 8 step process so that you will have all the information. If it is not necessary for me to repeat the 8 step (since I just did it all last night and you have the logs in my first message) please let me know.

Thanks a ton, we are going to get it.....

Dan

Glad to hear that Avast caught what CA left behind. I definitely don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction. Maybe you can do another memory scan to try and eliminate those 2 trojans.
You may have to sit tight for a bit before one of the virus experts cvan go through your log files once you have them posted. There's a lot of them around lately.

I went ahead and completely repeated the 8 step proceedure and have attached the updated logs requested. The results of my Avast Boot scan are attached in my previous post. As indicated that scan indicated 7 infected .dll files.

I have not spent any time with Avast so I could get the logs generated for you.

Please let me know what I need to do next.

Thank you.

Dan

Thanks for the info... I'm finished here.
Now we have to wait for someone qualified to give your logs a 'once over' and grade you on the results. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back