A-DATA SH93 Rugged Portable Hard Drive Review

that is a great idea! I'm always worried about dropping my external hard drive as i have a lot of data on it and would lose a lot of work. The price is quite reasonable for something like this so i think i might be getting myself one! Thanks for the info!

So now we just need a waterproof netbook and we can take all our fun into the sea!
Seriously now, its great for the summer days where you worry about your hd integrity but ..will it be expensive?

Considering the data transfer rates are slighty above standard (Even better than the cheapo ones), for the water proof, shocking capable, and drop until you get bored of not watching a scrath in it, considering its price is slighty above the cheap ones this is an amazing aquisition for anyone who needs their data secure, even for organizations that need secure and cheap alternatives for secure data backing.

Would really love to see one of those here in Chile.

I don't have a need for this because I have a RAID 1 NAS device, plus I don't need to take my data with me, but this hard drive looks nice nonetheless.

"(...) chances of recovering data should your computer's hard drive completely die overnight would be bleak at best."
Something's wrong here

This has a really solid construction, yet it's around $100... I bought mine external drive a few years ago, and it costed a lot more, and it's not even half as portable as this one is!

Also, I get it that this is not USB 3.0?

I guess if you bring your drive everywhere with you this might be just the protection you need but personally I don't see my external drives being subjected to drops and water.

@JMMD: Of course you don't see it, it's like... seeing you are going to be in a car crash, things just happen when you don't expect them to. Ok, that might have been a bit over dramatic, but still for the price tag it's more than acceptable for avoiding any kind of accident and being more than just shock resistant, water proof, I think that pretty much covers the any kind of accident the hard disk drive could be involved.

Great idea, well protected against any possible damage could happen to an external..
Great performance and a reasonable price tags..

Given the cost, I'm very impressed. THe product itself is solid (literally?) but it even comes at such a competitive price tag. Niceee

Definitely agree that eSata would have been nice. The next external drive i get will need to support both eSata and USB2 (maybe 3 if i wait long enough), for maximum compatibility/speed.

hehe this could be good for student... ppl in my classs are always droping their external hardrive... after a while they jsut switch to usb key... But this one could last for a while ^_^

i have dropped my external hd couple of times (seagate 354gb) had it for 2 years and still works... i can see this being good for industries that have computers but not too much for the everyday common people. but that it does look cool.. oh yeah it does... its like a mini bumblebee from transformers...

hello ...

when i was a PC tech, the company i worked was specialized in DATA protection & recovery. i used to tell people that we can change hardware even if it cost, but we can never replace our DATA, so to protect our most valuable & priceless project, holidays pix or dissertation, thank you A-DATA, this is a must buy!

cheers!

On second though i could have definitely used something like this 5 years ago while doing climate research in the mountains of Wyoming :)

I really like the look, but it would have been better if they also had an e-sata version.
This is really good as a gift for someone clumsy.

Why do these rugged electronics all come in yellow? To match the colour of JCBs?

So.. it is super-durable, water-resistant, shock-resistant, and all these other things..but the real question is: is it girlfriend resistant?

This is definitely something I wont be needing anytime soon, cool though that it can withstand water. Id still rather use a high capacity USB thumb drive if I need portability. less chance of dropping it in a pool of water as well.

I have recently begun doing freelance work and don't have a vehicle so I travel to customers. For 20 dollars extra, the casing on this drive is an invaluable tool for travelling technicians.

1 real piece of HARDware huh? will be hunting for this when it becomes available in Singapore. haha... look nice too!

I'm somewhat surprised that a drive like this hasn't been made available sooner. I know a few people who probably *should* use something like this.

Back