A few problems I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisXL

Well...It all started a couple of months ago when I found that when I tried to load up either Windows XP or Ubuntu, and my computer would just switch off as it got to the loading screen. The way I found to get round the problem (not solve it) would be to boot in to safe mode, and run a few virus and registry scans and fix any problems that were there. I would then be able to restart my computer and then boot in to Xp or Ubuntu.

So recently, I have been leaving my computer on for about 7 days straight (I know this is really stupid of me, wasting money/electricity) but I really couldn't be bothered with booting in to safe mode everytime I wanted to use the thing.

However, when I get back from college today, I found my computer off. I tried to turn it on, and it would begin to boot for about 2-3 seconds, and then turn itself off. This kept on happening until I held both the restart button and the power button at the same time, and then it seemed to start booting up. But then I noticed that there was no signal or data input going to my monitor. I keep trying and nothing. I've opened up my PC numerous times, unplugged and plugged my video card a few times, and still nothing. I have used a different monitor - Nothing. I've changed the cable two times, and still nothing going to my monitor. I've checked all the pins, all the connections, and still nothing. I have even tried removing my video card (Nvidia 8600GT) and using the inbuilt mobo video card - Nothing at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? My thoughts are telling me that maybe a couple of things have fried out? I'm guessing my PSU is screwed and maybe my mobo?

I'm sorry for the longwinded post, but I have some pretty important data on the comp which I'm sure is still recoverable (touch wood) but I would rather solve the problem - Even if it means buying some computer parts.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, it is very much appreciated!

Chris

Well, it seems your motherboard maybe done.. Take out any add in cards, and the ram from the board. Boot up the computer, if it beeps in anyway, motherboard should be fine, if no beep, it might be bad (Some boards don't make a beep for some reason, I had a board like that a few days ago) after you turn it on, let it sit for a few seconds, turn it off. After this, add in a stick of RAM and your Video Card if you have no onboard video.

Hopefully reseating the RAM and Video Card will let it boot. After that if you have any additional cards, put them in one at a time. A card maybe shorting the board and it wont boot, specially if you recently had a power outtage. I had a computer in the shop not long ago that would not boot just because the modem blew out in it, took it out, put new one in, booted fine.

When you have a problem like this booting up a computer, take everything out, make sure the mother board posts, then add from there. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply Computerguy!

No beeps when I remove everything from the mobo, so I'm assuming that the mobo is kaput. My mobo does beep iirc. I've reset the video card and RAM, and am still having the same problem of it turning on and starting up for about 3 seconds and then turning off. However, I'm still able to hold the reset and power button at the same time to get it running. Been trying different combinations of add on cards, and am still having the same problem.

Any more advice?

Well, you can try resetting the CMOS battery. Take the battery out, take out the power cord, press the power button 5 - 6 times, hold it down for 3 seconds. Place the battery back in the socket, plug the cord in, turn on the computer.. Don't think this will help but it's always worth a try, sometimes does help.

Mmmm, still no luck. So what would you suggest I do next? Is it as simple as buying a new mobo, and hooking everything back up? I suppose the probable cause of this is overheating due to a faulty fan or insufficient PSU? My psu is only 250W, which is way too small.

It could very well be a dead board.. Specially if it turns off and on like that. 250W is small. I suggest getting a 450. Or even a 350 Earth Watt. But if get a new board. your going to have to load up windows in safe mode, get rid of all your drivers, reinstall the new ones, going to need a new processor. Unless you plan on re-buying your mother board (if you can) just new... Which would be easiest if you can get it. Depends how old it is really. But new mobo's are a hassle.

I will see what I can get. I will update you within the week on my progress.

Thank you so much for all your useful and helpful advice!

How hard would it be to install and use an entirely new mobo, My old (broken) mobo is a ECS GeForce6100SM-M, which is basically an entry level mobo, and is pretty cheap with poor performance. If I got a new mobo, would it be as simple as uninstalling and then reinstalling the correct drivers, or does it get more complicated than this?

The thing with new mobo's are: When replacing a mobo with a newer model, this means you need a new processor to accomany that board as your old one will not be supported. As well your RAM will probably not work on your new board and you will need to replace this..

The best idea for replacing if you are not worried about prreformace increase would be: Replace the board with the same model, or one close to the model that can use your current processor and RAM so you don't have to spend a whole lot of money.

If you have the money, you might as well buy a new computer because those are the most expensive parts (aside from video cards really) And your basically using a new computer. After the new parts are put in, you need to start up in safe mode, get rid of drivers for that board and make sure all are out, then startup windows and install the new ones to that board.. If you start up in normal mode your drivers can't load and will either blow up windows or blue screen and you can't do anything.

It's quite difficult when you don't know what your doing, so I suggest either a new computer, and just put your old harddrive as a Slave in the new one. Or replace your dead board with one of the exact same model to eliminate the annoyances of new boards and the procedures to ensure it all works.

Just as I had read that, I had just ordered a pretty decent mobo, with an AM3 processor and a 450W PSU, lol. I'm a bit annoyed that my RAM wont work (why is this) it is DDR2, and I have 2 gbs of it. With this new mobo, is it the same sort of thing, or will it be best to boot in to safe mode, save what I need, and then reformat and reinstall Windows?

Thanks again!

Post your mother board here.. It just depends if the board takes the RAM or not.. Like an old board running SD RAM will not work on a new board that requires DDR RAM. Just was throwing that in there as a precaution before deciding on a board. Your DDR2 should be ok.. It's best to back everything up, incase something goes wrong. Back everything up in safe mode.. Then, try and remove the drivers in safe mode, boot into normal mode and install the new drivers with the CD given with the board. If it seems to bluescreen/blow up, and your fine with reinstalling windows. do that as a last resort. Good luck.

The mobo is - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-UD2H
The processor - AMD Phenom II X4 810 / 2.6 GHz processor
And the PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA430 GB - power supply - 430 Watt

What d'ya think?

hey when my motherboard was fried it wasnt even getting power..so if it starts booting then the motherboard is sort of safe..i hope im right..

gl with your cpu

I have everything hooked up and running. No more start up problems and no more monitor problems, but i got a new load of issues.

I try and boot in to safe mode, but it just throws me a BSoD. I am able to boot in to Linux Ubuntu and use the OS with a few errors. However, when I try and use the Windows CD to format and reinstall Windows XP, I just get thrown another bsod. When i go in to the BIOS and try and fiddle around with the settings, I try and "Auto Detect Drive" and it appears to do nothing. I'm not really sure what I can do. I have tried formatting the HD in Ubuntu but it just doesn't seem to work. As I have no internet connection, I cannot use GParted (I doubt that will work anyway).

At some points during start up, it does seems to recognise my HD (Maxtor blah blah) but I just can't get in to Safe Mode, or format without getting thrown a BSoD before anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It could be a wrong motherboard bios setting. Have you tried resetting the bios into the failsafe defaults mode? A hardware fault, like bad memory?

does the BSoD have a message or is it just a short one asking if you changed hardware? Other then that.. if you care about data, back it up if u still can. It seems to be hardware, your harddrive maybe done..

It is asking whether I have any viruses and I should run a check on my drive. I can't see how the Hd drive would be done...I really hope it isn't 'cause this is turning in to a real loss of time and money for me....

Well. It seems either a possible HDD or RAM issue, but if its asking about virus's when your installing new windows that is a little weird. When you reinstall windows, you delete the partitions on there and install a new one right ? you don't install on the already created partitions right? If possible add me to msn, my e-mail address should be in my profile.

Ok, well I figured I'd buy a new hard drive, and that should be here Monday or Tuesday. I really hope that it will work this time round. I took my hd to my friends house, and hooked it up to his PC and it wasn't recognised, so I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the HD (I'm clueless as to why this all happened - overheating issue?)

Added you to MSN ComputerGuy55 - I appreciate your time!

Will update you soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back