A few questions about RAM

nintai83

I am looking to buy some more ram and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how I should go about purchasing the correct RAM for my system. I just bought this computer from my brother because he got a new laptop, and I am trying to get up up to par for gaming.

Here is what I have installed now:
Samsung M3 78T6553EZS-CE6
DDR2 SDRAM
DDR2-667 (333 MHz)
512 MB x 2

I have attached my full system specs in a .txt document if it's needed.

I really want 4GB. Is there a limit to how much memory I can install on my system? Can you tell how many pins I have because it's DDR2? I believe I have heard somewhere that you can tell the amount of pins by the speed without opening your case and counting the pins lol.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Attachments

• Everest System Report.txt
    27.2 KB · Views: 3
well... regarding wanting 4 gb of ram it truely depends on your operating system, and weather or not its 32 or 64 bits... example windows xp any edition except pro 64 bit can only handle i belive 3.33 or so gigs of ram... dont quote me on that but i belive thats it... if you have vista or windows 7 i belive they go up to 4... and if you want more than 4 gigs you need a 64 bit operating system... but if i were you i would just buy some 1gb modules if you have 4 slots and 2 gb modules if you have 2... depending on if that main bored supports it... also keep in mind weather or not your computer handles dual sided or single sided memory... the safest bet is to always order single sided

I have attached my full system specs in a .txt document if it's needed.
Actually you haven't attached your full system spec, you've attached everything we don't actually need to know about the RAM that's installed.

Basically, this is what's known as "generic" or "OEM" RAM. (which is actually good to know, since it is easily matched with generic replacement RAM).

More important would be the computer make and model, or if this is a built machine, the make and model of just the motherboard.

I will say that with Win XP 32 bit installs, generally 2GB is really all that can be effectively utilized.

As far as memory being the primary issue with gaming, I think you're misleading yourself with that. It is an issue granted, but the CPU, and particularly the video card, are much bigger factors.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I am also purchasing a new graphics card. My old one was AGP and this MB is PCI. I just swapped out my old power supply and my processor is adequate. I wasn't mentioning this here because it's not the appropriate forum to discuss the other upgrades necessary to get my rig up to speed. However, once I( decided on some memory I was going to open a discussion in the appropriate thread on what video card I want.

I made an error in posting my specs. I was checking out the memory when I posted that without realizing what I was reporting. I will attach them to this post. It exceeded the upload limit so I had to compress it.

The computer is just over a year old and has not been altered from factory other than the power supply I just hooked up. it's an emachine w3653 The report I attached should be helpful.

Oh and I am running XP currently but I am awaiting a vista recovery disk. So at the time I install my hardware I will be on vista.

Attachments

• System Report.zip
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
Listen Junior, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I say this in refenence to your Everest report of the whole system. Way overkill.

Here's the product page of your Emachine; http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3653

It states that your computer will accept only 2 GBs of RAM total, and has 2 slots. So, both your 512MB DIMMs have to be replaced with 2 1GB sticks.

There wouldn't be much point in purchasing high performance memory, as the BIOS is locked down, so that no timing or voltage settings can be changed. Just keep it simple, a couple of 1GB sticks of Kingston Value RAM will do the trick.

This is basically what you're looking for; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...600006098&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

and this would be a generic set in GSkill brand; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231108

@ captaincranky: Thank you. That was what I was looking for. I am glad I didn't just buy the 2x2GB...

lmao... you didn't have to call me junior though. I am a 27 yo woman, not a little boy. I am hoping you mean "junior" in my capacity for computer hardware. XD

OK, you got me, you're obviously not a "junior" per se. That aside, since I'm in my sixties, perhaps you might still be a "junior-ette", or a "junior-ella".

Anyway, I glad you found the info you needed, and I hope your project turns out well.

Just make certain you check out proper anti-static procedure, before you go rooting around inside your computer. One stray arc will ruin the rest of your day, and the computer forever.

Back