A garbled voice from the hard drive !

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I sit here trying to put this in writing, barely audible music is coming from some where inside my computer. When the hd is really working its heart out,
twixt the clicking and crackling, and high pitched whine, words can be discerned, then a sentence, a phrase. When the hd sits guietly spinning, music emenates from somewhere inside that metal box. Right now Tennessee Ernie Ford is singing about digging 16tons of coal. So far none of the highly acclaimed virusware, malware, spyware, software detects anything bogus. CPU usage is relatively, constantly high at 60-70 %. Frequent crashes of the kernel32.dll, shell.dll, explorer.exe, dll's trying to access non existant memory locations .......... Many of,alot of Windows system drivers have a question mark for their creation date. I have replaced several with updated versions. Success was short lived as they to soon became corrupted or something. Reinstalling Windows 98 SE from CD in DOS lasted about a week, then yesterday I was hearing voices again., and music. I am at wits end. Now I can hear the Mama's and Papa's singing about singing in the rain.
Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Please. HJT is available but shows nothing unusual. Any ideas?

Ps Right clicking context menu, desk top, explorer window, really bad news. even though the registry has no policy restrictions emplaced. I am at your mercy.

okay...you're hearing the hard drive fail. it cannot be repaired and must be replaced.

certainly wierd, the voices and music are figments of your imagination.

For your first problem, the hdd, newegg and best buy are easy ways of obtaining a new one. But unfortunately, you're going to have to go to the psychiatric ward for the second problem... :eek: ... just kiddin ;)

Could it be the CPU overheating? I've had something similar happen, when the CPU overheated a Beetovhen [I can't spell, I know] Symphony [I still can't spell] playing.

I've had something similar happen, when the CPU overheated a Beetovhen [I can't spell, I know] Symphony [I still can't spell] playing.
you've mistaken electrical and other noises heard for actual music :rolleyes:

zephead said:
you've mistaken electrical and other noises heard for actual music :rolleyes:

I'm not kidding, I'm serous. It was built into the mobo...and they did that back then. When the CPU would get too hot, it would play that w/ the speaker built into the mobo.

oh, do you mean the pc speaker beeped the well-known 5th symphony (or something similar to it)?

yikes

Redd Muldune said:
As I sit here trying to put this in writing, barely audible music is coming from some where inside my computer. When the hd is really working its heart out,
twixt the clicking and crackling, and high pitched whine, words can be discerned, then a sentence, a phrase. When the hd sits guietly spinning, music emenates from somewhere inside that metal box. Right now Tennessee Ernie Ford is singing about digging 16tons of coal. then yesterday I was hearing voices again., and music. I am at wits end. Now I can hear the Mama's and Papa's singing about singing in the rain.

That might be the creepiest thing i have ever heard in my life. I had a computer that was brought in once, music was coming out, but a Audio CD was being played via an internal speaker (i was freaked out) but this scores a 10 on the creep-o meter...

Sean

BTW- i wont be able to sleep tonight

AH! Sounds like you had RF interferance and was picking up a radio station on an unsheilded power component.

The voices were real...............................I swear.

For the past few days I have traveled half the world feeling as low as a snake's belly in a wagon rut on a quest for enlightenment. Terminal harddrive? I have spent days on end, sleepless nights, nurturing, configuring, installing, uninstalling, deleting, updating, upgrading, rebooting, hundreds of programs have been tried and found lacking. Only those that suited me remain. I have spent years liberally cussing this thing for crashing and marveling at its technical wizardry and power. I started in electronics with vacuum tubes and capacitors and resistors the size of your finger. Anyone remember the Eniac and the Illiac? This machine is almost just right! Dying harddrive.
After a good nights sleep, sleep is good, a belly full of food and .....beer, I reassumed my position in front of the monitor. With clear eyes, defragment C:\ became etched in my frontal lobes, a growling little voice ever present in the back ground, "yup, nope, that's good, ok, won't do, here's one more, ....." With malice aforethought, Pest Patrol at my finger tip, fourty odd files/drivers proved to be tainted. All similar drivers in zipped, cabbed, hidden and read only backups were similarly afflicted. I needed fresh stock. www.mdgx.com has a marvelous assortment readily accessable and free. That guy has done an incredible job. My hat held high. A link to Maxtor proved worthy, a wee HDD test program. My drive passed 7 of 7 tests. A curiosity; ever notice how time seems to go faster, ever faster as we grow older and older... I mean wiser. Some what elated a little less anxious a couple days later a couple of cds with new updated software a recycle bin plumb full of fecal matter a new hopeful attitude I very sublimely become aware of the tranquility in my sanctum. The only verbal communication of note is that of me myself and I. Close friends. ............Let's see....we like Pink Floyd yes? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Windows 98 SE Unofficial Upgrades....
The harddrive sounds normal. The system seems to have mostly stabilized. Occationally explorer.exe causes an invalid page fault in the kernel. So if a hard drive is going bad, at what rpm?, how soon will the disk come flying out of the tower, what's going bad? Besides the expired warranty, if I open the drive, void the warranty, administer a little lube to the bearings it should be all good. Yes, No?
Oh yeah! Is the icon for Hwinfo.exe supposed to look sinister? I surely don't remember seeing that particular icon several months ago. One more thing, in one of my C:\Windows\System backups made with Msbackups, 79% of the backup has that same icon. I've been called crazy, I don't deny it, but opening that backup that was once pristine to have a bunch of diminutive masks staring at you with a growling wee voice in the background sorta got me a wee bit edgy. Thanx for the support!

Redd Muldune said:
For the past few days I have traveled half the world feeling as low as a snake's belly in a wagon rut on a quest for enlightenment. Terminal harddrive? I have spent days on end, sleepless nights, nurturing, configuring, installing, uninstalling, deleting, updating, upgrading, rebooting, hundreds of programs have been tried and found lacking. Only those that suited me remain. I have spent years liberally cussing this thing for crashing and marveling at its technical wizardry and power. I started in electronics with vacuum tubes and capacitors and resistors the size of your finger. Anyone remember the Eniac and the Illiac? This machine is almost just right! Dying harddrive.
After a good nights sleep, sleep is good, a belly full of food and .....beer, I reassumed my position in front of the monitor. With clear eyes, defragment C:\ became etched in my frontal lobes, a growling little voice ever present in the back ground, "yup, nope, that's good, ok, won't do, here's one more, ....." With malice aforethought, Pest Patrol at my finger tip, fourty odd files/drivers proved to be tainted. All similar drivers in zipped, cabbed, hidden and read only backups were similarly afflicted. I needed fresh stock. www.mdgx.com has a marvelous assortment readily accessable and free. That guy has done an incredible job. My hat held high. A link to Maxtor proved worthy, a wee HDD test program. My drive passed 7 of 7 tests. A curiosity; ever notice how time seems to go faster, ever faster as we grow older and older... I mean wiser. Some what elated a little less anxious a couple days later a couple of cds with new updated software a recycle bin plumb full of fecal matter a new hopeful attitude I very sublimely become aware of the tranquility in my sanctum. The only verbal communication of note is that of me myself and I. Close friends. ............Let's see....we like Pink Floyd yes? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Windows 98 SE Unofficial Upgrades....
The harddrive sounds normal. The system seems to have mostly stabilized. Occationally explorer.exe causes an invalid page fault in the kernel. So if a hard drive is going bad, at what rpm?, how soon will the disk come flying out of the tower, what's going bad? Besides the expired warranty, if I open the drive, void the warranty, administer a little lube to the bearings it should be all good. Yes, No?
Oh yeah! Is the icon for Hwinfo.exe supposed to look sinister? I surely don't remember seeing that particular icon several months ago. One more thing, in one of my C:\Windows\System backups made with Msbackups, 79% of the backup has that same icon. I've been called crazy, I don't deny it, but opening that backup that was once pristine to have a bunch of diminutive masks staring at you with a growling wee voice in the background sorta got me a wee bit edgy. Thanx for the support!

Well we can see someone wants to be a writer ;)

Bloo Ice said:
Well we can see someone wants to be a writer ;)

Yes there's a time and a place for everything. I couldn't make the my way to the end. So I haven't a clue what he was on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back