A good fit for my motherboard

Waffe

Wondering if someone professional could help me out with my mini dilemma I am having. About to start fresh and buy a mostly new everything. But I keep stopping at the computer case portion. I found a great motherboard but not many a decently priced case that utilizes front usb 3.0 ports.
Will the usb ports still work if the motherboard utilizes 3.0 and the case only has 2.0 available? I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I would greatly appreciate some advice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Will the usb ports still work if the motherboard utilizes 3.0 and the case only has 2.0 available?
They will work only if you connect the front USB 2.0 to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. If the case only has USB 2.0 front connectors, you cannot connect them to USB 3.0 headers on the motherboard because the connectors are different.

I happen to be using this case for one of my PCs: SilverStone. It has two USB 3.0 ports on the front panel.

As long as it will house everything you want and remain cool, the rest is really a cosmetic issue.

Is there a reason why you think, the case would be to small for your needs?

Well as long as my motherboard and largely proportioned gtx 560 will fit in with great airflow it should be fine.
Also, I guess height wouldn't matter too much, I just thought the bigger the better case ya know? Also before purchasing this case, I'm glad I saw a video review on it, because apparently it has a screw or something already in the case meant for ITX boards or whatever.If not removed will resort in a short out of the MOBA. More research to prevent future errors I suppose!

I changed out the board to an asrock extreme4, still not sold on any case because of some reviews stating annoying rattling from hd bays and such.

I changed out the board to an asrock extreme4, still not sold on any case because of some reviews stating annoying rattling from hd bays and such.

I have learned to not trust hardware reviews fully because most users who are satisfied dont write about their good experiences. While users who are unsatisfied and angered by the purchase, automatically rush to the purchase site and write a bad review. And think about it, there are millions of hardware products made. The mere 30 reviewers that say it is bad are the people who were just unlucky and got the bad units.

Probably due to screw-less design. However the cases I have seen will also support screws. In fact the case I have is a screw-less case, and I chose to use screws to eliminate (beforehand) the very issue you mentioned.
The mere 30 reviewers that say it is bad are the people who were just unlucky and got the bad units.
But if they are all saying the same thing, it's hard to ignore what they are saying. Even so if the product has an 80% approval rate, I weight the evidence. What I love reading in reviews are where, you can obviously tell it was user error. I usually ignore users that simply post DOA, without explaining how they came to the conclusion.

Probably due to screw-less design. However the cases I have seen will also support screws. In fact the case I have is a screw-less case, and I chose to use screws to eliminate (beforehand) the very issue you mentioned.
But if they are all saying the same thing, it's hard to ignore what they are saying. Even so if the product has an 80% approval rate, I weight the evidence. What I love reading in reviews are where, you can obviously tell it was user error. I usually ignore users that simply post DOA, without explaining how they came to the conclusion.

Well yeah. If everyone gives it a bad review, then I would be cautious. If there are good reviews, I will be a bit less cautious.

The only thing that concerns me now over all the review and such, is I heard that this board is a bit smaller compared to usual ATX standards. Will this cause mounting issues? The motherboard just came in today with my free stick of RAM, can't test it yet because I don't have an intel based processor.
Should I test if it boots before putting everything in the case? Or just hope everything is ok?

The only thing that concerns me now over all the review and such, is I heard that this board is a bit smaller compared to usual ATX standards. Will this cause mounting issues?
The case will have screw mounts that can be moved to match your motherboard. It is always best to make sure you have the correct number of mounts and have them in the correct place for each motherboard. The standard ATX case will fit an ATX, Micro-ATX, and Mini-ITX motherboard as well. Though it would be kinda silly to fit a Mini-ITX motherboard in a full ATX case, but it will mount.
Should I test if it boots before putting everything in the case? Or just hope everything is ok?
Go ahead and fit everything together, worry about trouble shooting if there are problems.

Good luck when you get it all in. I'm wishing you a trouble free build. :)

The case will have screw mounts that can be moved to match your motherboard. It is always best to make sure you have the correct number of mounts and have them in the correct place for each motherboard. The standard ATX case will fit an ATX, Micro-ATX, and Mini-ITX motherboard as well. Though it would be kinda silly to fit a Mini-ITX motherboard in a full ATX case, but it will mount.
Go ahead and fit everything together, worry about trouble shooting if there are problems.

Good luck when you get it all in. I'm wishing you a trouble free build. :)

Thanks man, I'm really hoping all the components are A-OK on arrival as well. Ordering a i5 in a day or two with the hdd and optical drive. If I have leftover I'm am upgrading to a evga gtx 660.
This is what is going to look like in the end build wise.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1hz6N
The hyper evo is optional at this point because I probably wont overclock just yet, I just like having the options you know =D.

Waffe, nice computer parts there.
I have the same i5-3570k processor +asrock extreme 4 mobo + hyper 212 evo cooler in a large cooler master case.
I don't have yet a dedicated video card as there are no available gtx 660/760 in nearby cities.
(I live in the Philippines and the nearest city with computer parts store is about 1.5-2 hours by car/bus (also has seaport); the nearest airport is about 3 hours; the nearest city with many computer parts stores is about 8 hours by boat and about 1 hour by plane)

the mounting holes in your pc case can be adjusted to accommodate atx/m-atx/and other supported motherboard form factors.

Does anyone know if the 3570k comes with pre-applied thermal paste/strip on the included stock cooler?

At least the boxed ones are... :)
...based on personal experience, the following boxed/retail intel products have pre-applied thermal pastes: Pentium dual core e5200, Pentium dual core e5400, Pentium g650, core i3-530, core i5-3570k...
...intel oem may not include heat sink/fan/thermal paste...

It says a heatsink is included. I wonder if I will be fine with a stock cooler, I seemed to manage so far without one. It comes with 2 fans so it might be OK.

How does one hook up the front usb 3.0? Does the corsair 200r come with a cable for that? Or does it simply work with the motherboard given power.

There is an independent cable for USB that will need to be connected to the motherboard. USB 2.0 is a 9-pin connector, while USB 3.0 is a 19-pin connector. Both USB 2.0 and 3.0 motherboard connectors are two USB ports per connector. Two rows of pins, each row is an independent USB port.

usb30-usb20.jpg

Having alot of trouble with the power sw and led connectors. I'm getting very flustered and am afraid plugging in the wrong port will short something out. on the power switch plug it has 3 pins but my case plug in has only 2. Does it totally matter where plug all this in? Am I safe for trial and error procedure?
This is all on the asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard.
I have almost everything plugged in minus the sata for the HDD and CD/DVD drive.
Does the + - plugs matter a whole lot?

Back