A graphical problem

By Kserijaro
May 16, 2009
  1. Well I don't know what is the best way to explain this since the problem occurs rarely and only in-game.On some occasional matter game(mainly real time strategies,even old warcraft III) tends to mess up graphic output.I dont know if it is overheating,underpowered or software issue,and I cant get screenshots while it happens.This is how it looks like:I play a game all fine nice settings(my Pc is core2quad 2.4 350 Gb maxtor HD,640 MB Nvidia 8800GTS and 2 GB RAM)and then in the middle of a fight pc freezes picture,a black overlayer appears(sometimes no,looks like a slow frame change) and then game goes on with all the forms i couldnt see,color is messed up,shapes are twisted and i cant read text sometimes.That is not the end.Game then goes on :freeze,degrage gfx quality,freeze,raise quality...and so on with no playing ability,till i switch or restart PC.Is this a card,software or monitor problem?How to fix it?
  2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

Hi Kserijaro

Are your graphics drivers up to date? Direct X and sound drivers good too? That's where I would start the troubleshooting. Also, what operating system are you running? Any error messages you receive upon freezing etc?

Spyder_1386 :)
  3. Kserijaro

Kserijaro TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

No no errors.Like a half-pace work stoppage.I think i have drivers updated.Recently it hapens during hot days.I guess temperature rises so much that card cant work properly.As i said grafix is all mesed up after 5-6 h play hours.Will adding new cooler fix my problem?I am on Windosw Xp SP2
  4. Kserijaro

Kserijaro TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

Yes,it is confirmed, my graphic card overheats,causing it to stop working properly.What is the best way to fix this?Put 3 powerful cooling fans in the case or service the graphic card?
  5. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,154   +197

As you suggested, a good clean and dedust can work wonders.

Case fans are also a good idea when properly installed, try to position them so air is moving through your case. An aftermarket gpu cooler is also a good option but is a little harder to install :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.