A little OC help - AMD X2 4400+ Toledo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danstar10

Hello all,

Im in need of a little assistance. Im basically trying to OC an AMD X2 4400+ Toledo to around 2.4 (tho 2.6 would be nice).

I have no prior experience of OCing a CPU however i have built up my computer a fair bit and am generally good with computers so im no noob.

As stock my cpu cores run at around 30c idle and max 51c full load - when put under the small FFTs 'torture test' of Prime95.

I have had a 'quick' OC try and upped the CPU freq from 200 to 210 in BIOS (it appeared not to boot at any higher) which gave me around 2.3Ghz i think, and added a couple of degrees to the max load temp maxing at 53c ish.

My question is how would you seasoned OC'ers go about getting a little more from this old chap of a CPU. Should i increase the voltage? as i have heard this gives a minimal benifit for the risk it poses to the hardware.

I dont seem to have access to the 'HT multiplier' in the BIOS (the one which is 5x by default) but i think i have access to the CPU multiplier (listed as 'K8 CPU clock ratio' in the BIOS)

My motherboard is a 'GIGABYTE Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI the model is GA-K8N Pro-SLI' and i have 2x 1GB pc3200 RAM

think that is all you need to know for this, and i have uploaded a pic of CPUz showing no OC readings and the menus I get in my BIOS.

Id be happy to use some software to OC if any can be reccomended?

Also, any ideas how i can access my CPU fan speed so i could keep it cooler under load as i dont seem to be able to find how.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dan

My question is how would you seasoned OC'ers go about getting a little more from this old chap of a CPU. Should i increase the voltage? as i have heard this gives a minimal benifit for the risk it poses to the hardware.
Not until your processor becomes unstable.
CPU's obviously take more power to do more work, normally manufactures limit the voltage to a safe, yet plentiful value. If you push the processor pas what it should be running, it will require more voltage. For minor overclocks, the default limit should be fine, higher overclocks may require a voltage boost.

I have had a 'quick' OC try and upped the CPU freq from 200 to 210 in BIOS (it appeared not to boot at any higher) which gave me around 2.3Ghz i think, and added a couple of degrees to the max load temp maxing at 53c ish.
So you can't even boot up past 2.3ghz? That shouldn't be happening, even with a low quality motherboard. You shouldn't even need to boost the voltage under 2.7ghz.

Also, any ideas how i can access my CPU fan speed so i could keep it cooler under load as i dont seem to be able to find how.
You shouldn't be able to, and if you can it would probably be in the BIOS.

hey Dan,
you should be able to get 2.5 out of it, but after that it takes alot more voltage to get little results. the 4400 toledo is just not a very good OC'er. on a good board with quit a jump in vcore you can maybe get 2.7 best scenario, but the heat goes up exponentially. i have owned and worked on several 4400's and there is just not alot of headroom in them unless you get lucky and get one of the "good ones".

Yeah, i'd be happy to get 2.5 but i dont seem to be able to boot up past 210mhz in the bios which gives around 2.3. any ideas how to get around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back