A malware pun

By mucklucks
Sep 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was hijacked a couple months ago by what turned out to be a pun. I haven't run into humor in malware before, so I thought I would pass it along for your information and possible pleasure.

It started when I opened IE to do an update, but instead of seeing GOOGLE on the screen (my default browser Home) I saw what appeared to be a pop-up for SPY BOUNCER. Nothing I could do would escape that screen. Yes, I could write in a URL on the Address Line and go where I wanted, but whenever I opened IE again, there was that SPY BOUNCER tar baby.

Of course I checked my IE's default Home Page, but it looked perfect, still that beastly ad popped up every time IE opened. I tried this and that (handstands and backflips) but nothing worked. So I went back to Firefox, my regular browser, and forgot about upgrades.

But every few days I would try IE again, and there was the SPY BOUNCER ad filling the screen. It wasn't till recently that the light bulb went off and I got the "joke". My default page did _not_ read http://www.google.com. It read http://goggle.com/ (!) That change had been fooling my eye each time I'd looked at it. Natch, I simply corrected the spelling and thereafter all was cool. Cute hijack, eh?
  2. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

Unfortunately,that trick has been going since google started.

Every variation of "google.com" will probably take you to a different dubious page.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

I agree with Peddant.

We all need to be careful of type`o`s in the address bar.

There`s thousands of dodgy website set up for the person who mispells something. Some of them are particularly malicious.

Regards Howard :)
  4. mucklucks

mucklucks Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 28

Gotcha Peddant, gotcha Howard. Thanx for replies. But just to be clear, I did not mis-type anything. Some passing hitchhiker changed my default. What surprised me was that I was visually fooled each time I had checked my default setting. That's all.

Oh, and I didn't know faux Google sites had been around since Columbus discovered the PC. Sorry for the ancient history lesson.

Happy things,

Mucklucks
  5. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

If you have problems in the future,this is the place to go HERE
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.