A malware pun

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucklucks

I was hijacked a couple months ago by what turned out to be a pun. I haven't run into humor in malware before, so I thought I would pass it along for your information and possible pleasure.

It started when I opened IE to do an update, but instead of seeing GOOGLE on the screen (my default browser Home) I saw what appeared to be a pop-up for SPY BOUNCER. Nothing I could do would escape that screen. Yes, I could write in a URL on the Address Line and go where I wanted, but whenever I opened IE again, there was that SPY BOUNCER tar baby.

Of course I checked my IE's default Home Page, but it looked perfect, still that beastly ad popped up every time IE opened. I tried this and that (handstands and backflips) but nothing worked. So I went back to Firefox, my regular browser, and forgot about upgrades.

But every few days I would try IE again, and there was the SPY BOUNCER ad filling the screen. It wasn't till recently that the light bulb went off and I got the "joke". My default page did _not_ read http://www.google.com. It read http://goggle.com/ (!) That change had been fooling my eye each time I'd looked at it. Natch, I simply corrected the spelling and thereafter all was cool. Cute hijack, eh?

Unfortunately,that trick has been going since google started.

Every variation of "google.com" will probably take you to a different dubious page.

I agree with Peddant.

We all need to be careful of type`o`s in the address bar.

There`s thousands of dodgy website set up for the person who mispells something. Some of them are particularly malicious.

Regards Howard :)

Gotcha Peddant, gotcha Howard. Thanx for replies. But just to be clear, I did not mis-type anything. Some passing hitchhiker changed my default. What surprised me was that I was visually fooled each time I had checked my default setting. That's all.

Oh, and I didn't know faux Google sites had been around since Columbus discovered the PC. Sorry for the ancient history lesson.

Happy things,

Mucklucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back