A new gaming rig

kchat

Hi friends ! I'm going to build a gaming rig & I'm short-listing here all the components I'm going to buy, plz suggest if I've overlooked anything.

1) AMD FX 8120 (plz, don't suggest Intel, as I just can't stand that brand)
2) ASRock 970 Extreme 4 (MoBo)
3) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (2x8 GB)
4) SSD - Samsung 840 Series 120 GB, HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1 TB & 3 TB & my old WD 320 GB.
5) Cooler Master TPC 812 CPU Cooler
6) Lite On BD Writer
7) NZXT Phantom Series full tower cabinet

last, but not the least, thinking of PSU - Cooler Master GX 750W. is it compatible with 8120 ? will it be enough for a little gaming ? note, that I'm not planning to overclock at all, but want to make it future-proof as best as I can.. somewhere I read that this particular PSU is compatible only with Intel. is that true ? if so, plz suggest a similar or better PSU for my rig. am I missing something ? what else do I need to complete my rig ? yesterday, I posted this same question, but apparently it vanished from the forum, I tried hard to find it, but couldn't. so, I'm posting again, & if my previous post is still alive, then very very sorry for my double-post. plz, help me friends ! waiting for ur valuable reply. I'm just a noob here & also in building rigs, so if I'm doing anything wrong, plz bare with me. God bless u all...

oh ! forgot to mention, I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit & my graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 210, not going to change it for some time. :)

1 request. plz suggest me good & trusted online shopping sites & if remotely possible then from India. bcoz not many sellers sell world-wide & I'm an ebay member, but I do not trust them with costly items. several times they failed me. (read cheated me intentionally & I couldn't do a thing about it !!!)

Build looks good to me.

Cooler Master GX 750W. is it compatible with 8120 ? will it be enough for a little gaming ? note, that I'm not planning to overclock at all, but want to make it future-proof as best as I can.. somewhere I read that this particular PSU is compatible only with Intel. is that true ?
No thats not true, I have no idea why someone would be lead to make that comment. If the PSU matches your cases form factor (ATX Case or Proprietary Case?) and has adequate power, there is nothing else to worry about with the exception of brand quality.

"(plz, don't suggest Intel, as I just can't stand that brand)"
Yeah, I know, the nerve of those guys, they make the world's best processors, and then have the audacity to charge more for them! They should be more like AMD and stop trying to be more efficient & powerful, just concentrate on making slow, hot CPUs with compatibility issues and bargain-basement prices.

"(plz, don't suggest Intel, as I just can't stand that brand)"
Yeah, I know, the nerve of those guys, they make the world's best processors, and then have the audacity to charge more for them! They should be more like AMD and stop trying to be more efficient & powerful, just concentrate on making slow, hot CPUs with compatibility issues and bargain-basement prices.

sir, if u r a millionare, u can surely go for ur much approved Intel, but in my case I used Intel & spent 4 yrs full of complete hell bcoz particularly of that processor (at least my long term trusted computer repair shop said so.) u know nothing about my present or previous machines, so if u've nothing helpful to offer, I'll request u to stick to ur own business. thanx a lot, but I need no guidance from u. I'm sure some other'll come & reply positively to my humble request of guiding & suggestions.

Hey kchat,

Nice build to start with, but I think some things could be optimized.

First of all, what are you planning on doing with your computer? Simpy word processing and other daily computing? I imagine that's what your intended use will be since you will be using a Nvidia Geforce 210. If that is the case, I think some of your parts are overkill.

For instance the ASRock 970 Extreme 4. Something like a MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ would appear to be more appropriate for almost half the price (also, that thing has 6(!) SATA3 6Gb/s per second connectors for your hard drives. I find that incredible. My ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 has only 2).

Solid choice of RAM, BUT you don't need 2x8GB if you want 16GBs of RAM. Unless I am completely mistaken, I am sure that buying 4x4GB RAM sticks, also Corsair Vengeance, will give you better performance and be cheaper for you instead of buying two 8GB sticks. [FONT=helvetica][/FONT]

Personally I don't trust Seagate with hard drives, I'm a Western Digital supporter just because I have heard too many stories from my friends about Seagate drives dying on them.

Yeah, get back to me about these pointers and I will see if I can help you somehow else. Like finding a good online store that ships to India.

Happy Easter,

baN

sir, if u r a millionare, u can surely go for ur much approved Intel
WOW, I didn't know I was a millionaire!! I'm as far from being a millionaire as they get.

I see no reason why your shop would suggest Intel was behind your issues. Perhaps you could elaborate on the topic and enlighten us on your hatred for Intel, while waiting on others to answer your question.

Hey kchat,

Nice build to start with, but I think some things could be optimized.

First of all, what are you planning on doing with your computer? Simpy word processing and other daily computing? I imagine that's what your intended use will be since you will be using a Nvidia Geforce 210. If that is the case, I think some of your parts are overkill.

For instance the ASRock 970 Extreme 4. Something like a MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ would appear to be more appropriate for almost half the price (also, that thing has 6(!) SATA3 6Gb/s per second connectors for your hard drives. I find that incredible. My ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 has only 2).

Solid choice of RAM, BUT you don't need 2x8GB if you want 16GBs of RAM. Unless I am completely mistaken, I am sure that buying 4x4GB RAM sticks, also Corsair Vengeance, will give you better performance and be cheaper for you instead of buying two 8GB sticks.

Personally I don't trust Seagate with hard drives, I'm a Western Digital supporter just because I have heard too many stories from my friends about Seagate drives dying on them.

Yeah, get back to me about these pointers and I will see if I can help you somehow else. Like finding a good online store that ships to India.

Happy Easter,

baN

thanx a lot sir ! I do really appreciate ur concern for my rig. of course, I'm going to do exactly as u suggest. I'm going to find these things right away in online shops. once my finding is done, I'm going to let u know. again, a ton of thanx. :)

WOW, I didn't know I was a millionaire!! I'm as far from being a millionaire as they get.

I see no reason why your shop would suggest Intel was behind your issues. Perhaps you could elaborate on the topic and enlighten us on your hatred for Intel, while waiting on others to answer your question.

sorry to say, but ur stupid sarcasm is really wasted on me. yes, I'll surely elaborate why I dislike Intel, but not to u. if some other sympathetic & understanding member asks me, I'll elaborate it to him. & as I said, no need to advise me, I don't need ur guidance. as for being a millionare, I said that bcoz my country at least financially lags a lot behind urs & others too. so, everyone of us can't & don't dream of Ivy bridge & Sandy bridge.

no need to advise me, I don't need ur guidance.
Looks like you are on your own. Since you have told two independent members you didn't need their guidance, I highly doubt anyone else will be so kind as to step in.

As far as stupid sarcasm, mine was only in response to yours. Then I ask a question which you failed to answer because you couldn't get passed the stupid sarcasm comments. If you can't take stupid sarcasm, don't dish them out.

Good luck with your search, I certainly will not be catering to you because of your piss poor attitude.

Looks like you are on your own. Since you have told two independent members you didn't need their guidance, I highly doubt anyone else will be so kind as to step in.

As far as stupid sarcasm, mine was only in response to yours. Then I ask a question which you failed to answer because you couldn't get passed the stupid sarcasm comments. If you can't take stupid sarcasm, don't dish them out.

Good luck with your search, I certainly will not be catering to you because of your piss poor attitude.

thanx a lot. as far as I understand there's a lot of people out there over the net who'll help me if I ask them politely enough. & there's no reason for me not to be polite to them also. I've seen the type of u in other forums & I avoid them like plague. I'm a noob & I posted perhaps a very silly & noob like question, but that shouldn't be a reason to despise me altogether as u r doing since ur 1st post to my thread. thanx again & Au Revoir.........

btw, as far as I can see u r wrestling with me all the time over the godliness of Intel over AMD. I can't see any advice of yours about my other parts. have I highlighted AMD only & mentioned nothing else ? u could've pointed out my other mistakes too ! but u didn't ! is a whole pc made of only a processor ? & I specified that I don't want to know about Intel, I've my reasons of course ! but u avoided that point altogether & everytime doggedly stressed the point that Intel is made in Heaven & AMD in hell ! I don't want to know about the best of the best processor. all I need to know is - is my config good enough & compatible with each other ? I think basically it's a very simple & straight-forward question. but, may be not to u.........

Personally I think Amd is good for the price(depending on the chip you get) but intel is generally better in performance. But of course it's costs more. In the end the competition between the two is benefical for the consumer(you)

I understand & I know. but the main problem is it's impossible for me to get an ivy or a sandy. they r way too much pricey for me ! :(

sir, if u r a millionare, u can surely go for ur much approved Intel, but in my case I used Intel & spent 4 yrs full of complete hell bcoz particularly of that processor (at least my long term trusted computer repair shop said so.) u know nothing about my present or previous machines, so if u've nothing helpful to offer, I'll request u to stick to ur own business. thanx a lot, but I need no guidance from u. I'm sure some other'll come & reply positively to my humble request of guiding & suggestions.
I'm sorry about my previous post, I didn't mean to offend you. I was being facetious and admittedly unsympathetic with your situation. I sincerely apologize, and hope you forgive me. Believe it or not, I do sympathize, I had to make do with an old hand-me-down Pentium 4 system for years before I could afford to build my present system (and only could afford it because I quit smoking). I'm not an Intel fanboy - they are a huge soul-sucking corporation motivated only by profit, just like the rest of them - and I often recommend AMD procs to those on a tight budget. I just respect well designed hardware no matter whose brand name is on it. I guess I was intrigued by your glaring hatred of all things Intel, and my smartass evil twin took over my brain.
Again, I apologize for my negative comments. I try to use my (limited) knowledge of PCs to help others on this and many other forums, and I feel bad that I was no help to you. Please allow me to try again... Your choices all look good to me, Corsair and NZXT are both excellent companies, and everything looks compatible (be sure to flash the latest motherboard BIOS to ensure full compatibility with the 8120). Also, 16 GB in such a system might be overkill (unless you're going to use it for a RAM disk or do a lot of high resolution photo/video editing or CAD). I have never seen my system use over 4 GB no matter what I'm doing, 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) is plenty for most people, and will save you $40-$60.

I'm sorry about my previous post, I didn't mean to offend you. I was being facetious and admittedly unsympathetic with your situation. I sincerely apologize, and hope you forgive me. Believe it or not, I do sympathize, I had to make do with an old hand-me-down Pentium 4 system for years before I could afford to build my present system (and only could afford it because I quit smoking). I'm not an Intel fanboy - they are a huge soul-sucking corporation motivated only by profit, just like the rest of them - and I often recommend AMD procs to those on a tight budget. I just respect well designed hardware no matter whose brand name is on it. I guess I was intrigued by your glaring hatred of all things Intel, and my smartass evil twin took over my brain.
Again, I apologize for my negative comments. I try to use my (limited) knowledge of PCs to help others on this and many other forums, and I feel bad that I was no help to you. Please allow me to try again... Your choices all look good to me, Corsair and NZXT are both excellent companies, and everything looks compatible (be sure to flash the latest motherboard BIOS to ensure full compatibility with the 8120). Also, 16 GB in such a system might be overkill (unless you're going to use it for a RAM disk or do a lot of high resolution photo/video editing or CAD). I have never seen my system use over 4 GB no matter what I'm doing, 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) is plenty for most people, and will save you $40-$60.

sir, u r being too polite ! no need to be that. I understand all that u've said. actually my 1st pc was back in 2003, I've completely forgotten what were the other parts ! I only remember I had a samsung cd writer & my proc was intel p4. it came with xp home edition. brand was hp. & for the next 4 yrs I had to stand that abomination. it was constantly & I practically mean constantly crashing & if not crashing then hanging for ever ! day in & day out I was glued to the bios screen & formatting it. in a week if it behaved well then it would allow me to work normally for around 2 days !!! & this picture was the same for the next 4 yrs. sometimes I couldn't cope with whatever was happening to my pc, so I would give it to my local & very well reputed computer shop, and they told me a numerous time that unless I change my proc, this problem would never go away & they were constantly repairing & re-repairing my proc. in 2007 I got a little money to spend, went to them & bought an assembled pc. my previous 40 gb hard drive became 320 gb, my ram from 512 mb to 2 gb & most importantly I told them if they don't give me an AMD, I will never buy from them again. I didn't know anything about either intel or AMD. I only knew these 2 names. but I knew at least this much that my previous 1 was intel p4, so I wanted a complete change. they gave me an AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core 4800+. I'm still using that pc till date. in xp it was amazing, but I sadly changed from xp to 7 on 20th february 2013 & for the 1st time my machine is giving me a lot of problems. lots of BSOD, if a folder, 2 notepads & around 8 tabs of firefox remain open, windows starts to prompt me to close FF, & if I don't do that, it automatically restarts. so I'm trying to build something as future-proof as my present pc once was. hence my dislike towards intel & also towards hp. I'm never gonna buy a branded pc anymore. but, I must say after coming from that dreadful machine AMD & all my other hardwares were a real breeze. I'll be missing my athlon.......that's my story sir. now u decide what should I do. I'm leaving all to ur expert hands & if others help me too, that'll be an extra boon for me. :) regards.

Thank you for your reply. I went through similar problems trying to use a P4 3.4 built in 2005 to run Win7, DDR3, and a GTX 550 Ti, that thing ran very hot, and even the northbridge chipset would overheat and freeze the system. Also it could only address 3.2 GB of RAM, so it was best not to multi-task too much or it would run out of memory and crash.
Remember, back in 2007 the PC building/gaming craze was just starting and you mostly had to make do with Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, or Emachines all with OEM coolers, pitiful airflow, bottom-rung motherboards, and RAM that was considered slow in 2005. Things are much different now, Intel has been on top for a while, and at many price points their CPUs outperform AMD's. However, in the lower ranges, AMD has some nice chips for a very nice price, that are probably in use in millions of machines and working just fine for the tasks they perform. Your FX 8120 is a bargain at $160, but I feel the same way about my i5-3570K ( got it for $200). Truthfully, either one is great and so much faster than what we had, it's like night & day. I'm sure you'll like you're new system as much as I like mine, PCs have come a long way in a short time, and any quad core system is a beast these days.

Thank you for your reply. I went through similar problems trying to use a P4 3.4 built in 2005 to run Win7, DDR3, and a GTX 550 Ti, that thing ran very hot, and even the northbridge chipset would overheat and freeze the system. Also it could only address 3.2 GB of RAM, so it was best not to multi-task too much or it would run out of memory and crash.
Remember, back in 2007 the PC building/gaming craze was just starting and you mostly had to make do with Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, or Emachines all with OEM coolers, pitiful airflow, bottom-rung motherboards, and RAM that was considered slow in 2005. Things are much different now, Intel has been on top for a while, and at many price points their CPUs outperform AMD's. However, in the lower ranges, AMD has some nice chips for a very nice price, that are probably in use in millions of machines and working just fine for the tasks they perform. Your FX 8120 is a bargain at $160, but I feel the same way about my i5-3570K ( got it for $200). Truthfully, either one is great and so much faster than what we had, it's like night & day. I'm sure you'll like you're new system as much as I like mine, PCs have come a long way in a short time, and any quad core system is a beast these days.

actually I'm thinking hard of fx 8320 now. it's more costly so, I need to wait a couple months for a hopefully reduced price. but piledriver is better than bulldozer everybody is saying that & I'm also thinking of changing my graphics card. I've always used nvidia & like that brand. so, if u can kindly guide me to a nvidia card within around 180$ it'll really help me. & although I'm not going to overclock it, still I looked at MSI 970A-G46 as suggested by baN893, & the review is that it's only positive side is cheap price, nothing else. I also looked at ASUS M5A97 & ASUS 990FX Sabretooth, they r getting more positive results, but some buyers are still complaining about something or other. this proc is pricey & powerful (not compared to intel), so it must get a powerful mobo also. although nothing is perfect, still I would like to have a mobo with as much positive results as it could get, so plz help me to find one. thanx & regards. :)

actually I'm thinking hard of fx 8320 now. it's more costly so, I need to wait a couple months for a hopefully reduced price. but piledriver is better than bulldozer everybody is saying that & I'm also thinking of changing my graphics card. I've always used nvidia & like that brand. so, if u can kindly guide me to a nvidia card within around 180$ it'll really help me. & although I'm not going to overclock it, still I looked at MSI 970A-G46 as suggested by baN893, & the review is that it's only positive side is cheap price, nothing else. I also looked at ASUS M5A97 & ASUS 990FX Sabretooth, they r getting more positive results, but some buyers are still complaining about something or other. this proc is pricey & powerful (not compared to intel), so it must get a powerful mobo also. although nothing is perfect, still I would like to have a mobo with as much positive results as it could get, so plz help me to find one. thanx & regards. :)
I like capital letters, they're quite nice. Why do you hate them so? :'(

I did a lot of research before picking Asus as my preferred brand of motherboard. Like you, I was concerned with the user review horror stories about bent CPU socket pins and DOA boards. Some of these people are *****s who have no business building a PC, but some of them have legitimate quality control issues. You will never find a board that has 100% positive reviews (I've tried!), and every board manufacturer has a failure rate of at least 1% to 3% out of the box.
I also noticed that some board makers have a consistently large percentage of negative reviews because of DOA, early death, dead DIMM slots, etc. - Biostar and Asrock in particular. Asus is best, then Gigabyte, MSI, ECS, Asrock, and Biostar last, in my opinion. I haven't done extensive research on AMD boards like I have on Intel, so it's hard to recommend a particular board. Stick with Asus or Gigabyte and you should be okay, in the $150 and up range. You'll want the 990FX chipset for the latest features. Here's a link to a decent low priced board;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
Heres the middle pick;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877
And here's the best one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876
You're right about Piledriver, both the 8320 and the flagship 8350 blow away my i5-3570K in CPU benchmarks, and are much faster than Bulldozer in real-world scenarios - both are a bargain at $175 and $200 respectively.
nVidia has a new card that's right at your $180 price point, the GTX 650 Ti Boost, which is a great card, and is the cheapest in the 600 series to include an SLI connector. Here's a link to an EVGA version;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130910
Hope all this helps, let me know your thoughts.

I did a lot of research before picking Asus as my preferred brand of motherboard. Like you, I was concerned with the user review horror stories about bent CPU socket pins and DOA boards. Some of these people are *****s who have no business building a PC, but some of them have legitimate quality control issues. You will never find a board that has 100% positive reviews (I've tried!), and every board manufacturer has a failure rate of at least 1% to 3% out of the box.
I also noticed that some board makers have a consistently large percentage of negative reviews because of DOA, early death, dead DIMM slots, etc. - Biostar and Asrock in particular. Asus is best, then Gigabyte, MSI, ECS, Asrock, and Biostar last, in my opinion. I haven't done extensive research on AMD boards like I have on Intel, so it's hard to recommend a particular board. Stick with Asus or Gigabyte and you should be okay, in the $150 and up range. You'll want the 990FX chipset for the latest features. Here's a link to a decent low priced board;
Heres the middle pick;
And here's the best one;
You're right about Piledriver, both the 8320 and the flagship 8350 blow away my i5-3570K in CPU benchmarks, and are much faster than Bulldozer in real-world scenarios - both are a bargain at $175 and $200 respectively.
nVidia has a new card that's right at your $180 price point, the GTX 650 Ti Boost, which is a great card, and is the cheapest in the 600 series to include an SLI connector. Here's a link to an EVGA version;

no doubt, I'm going for ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z. in here only 1 seller is selling this. unfortunately he is charging more 166$ than the price of newegg ! :( but I've no option. by hook or by crook I'm gonna get this mobo. thanx a ton for suggesting this awesome mobo ! :D & here I can find only ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 but not EVGA ! :( plz, take a look at this zotac card on my behalf & tell me will it be good enough ? even in my noob state I can find there's a lot more to the EVGA card & alot less in this ZOTAC. link is "http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-gtx-650-ti-1gb-1-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmdezd6yn6kwa7m"

sorry ! don't understand ! should I write all my posts in complete block letters ? from A to Z ? plz, clarify !!! :(
I was joking, really. It's just basic writing skills to start sentences with capitals. Don't worry about it, focus on the build.

Yes ! I understand that now ! & nobody ever pointed it out before ! I'm sorry ! actually I'm too lazy to do even these simple tasks ! sorry bro ! :D

Heres the middle pick;
And here's the best one;

one more thing. should I shift from win 7 32 bit to 64 bit ? will it improve anything ? bcoz, in some other forums members were suggesting that this should be the 1st thing on my list-to-do. I know 32 bit can handle only 4 GB of RAM, so I guess my 16 GB, even 8 GB'll be useless if I don't use 64 bit ? what do u suggest ?

Back