A question about XP Pro

learninmypc

It may of been stupid of me, but in regards to this thread
I had no clue on how to use gparted, so frustrated, I accidently reinstalled the OS basically doing a repair but got OS on C: Drive, this time. Got all the security programs installed but it wouldn't let me get MS updates.
Long story short, I reformatted it, got everything on the C: Drive, all the MS updates are finally installed, IE 8 is working normally, but In My Opinion, all it lacks is a recovery partition.
When I (re) boot up, I get two options using the up & down arrows & both options are for Windows XP Pro. I DO NOT have CD/DVD's to make a recovery disk so that option is out.
In some of my past threads in here Broni has had me run something that installed a recovery partition.
Yes, I'm fully aware XP is nearing its end of the line, but I know people still using Windows ME.
Thanks, I hope I've got it right.:D

Step-1 mistake was reformatting. The manual install does not create ANY recovery partition - - that is normally something that gets done via an OEM install (ie: a packaged purchase of a system, preinstalled with Windows +- some bundled applications).

The OEM license requires the OEM installer to {a} create the Recovery Environment or {b} provide recovery CDs.

What are you trying to do here? Just remove the 2 XP options on boot? That is simple enough.

Right click on My Computer and go to Properties (alternatively the System Control Panel). Then choose the Advanced tab.

Now click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery box.

IF the top choice for XP works on the selection screen DURING BOOT. Then simply uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems".

What happened is you ended up with 2 XP listings in your boot.ini file. Unchecking that box simply prevents that startup menu from showing and immediately selects the top option. If you have to select the bottom option, then post back I don't want to confuse you with any more details in this post.

Step-1 mistake was reformatting. The manual install does not create ANY recovery partition - - that is normally something that gets done via an OEM install (ie: a packaged purchase of a system, preinstalled with Windows +- some bundled applications).

The OEM license requires the OEM installer to {a} create the Recovery Environment or {b} provide recovery CDs.
Ok & thanks

What are you trying to do here? Just remove the 2 XP options on boot? That is simple enough.

Right click on My Computer and go to Properties (alternatively the System Control Panel). Then choose the Advanced tab.

Now click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery box.

IF the top choice for XP works on the selection screen DURING BOOT. Then simply uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems".

What happened is you ended up with 2 XP listings in your boot.ini file. Unchecking that box simply prevents that startup menu from showing and immediately selects the top option. If you have to select the bottom option, then post back I don't want to confuse you with any more details in this post.
Thank you sir, works great. I'm still learnin my pc with you great teachers.

Cool, glad it got you sorted. The way I told you is a completely acceptable way to fix that 2 entries on a boot menu when you don't even want a boot menu issue. What doing that did was modify your boot.ini file for you, which is way nicer than editing it by hand :)

Thank you very much. That pc has been a PITA from the beginning.
The user of it sure don't know how to properly use a pc. Oh well, rumor has it, it'll be mine soon. Glad about that. Have an awesome weekend.(y)

Back