A really horrible problem that needs a solution fast

resu

right heres the story.

all our machines at work have the same admin passwords (or so i thought)
because i'm lazy i VNC to do updates etc on people machines so to restart in safemode i use msconfig and check boot to safe mode.

turns out this user thought of himself as a bit of a IT wiz and to 'protect' his files ... he changed the admin password.

only thing is that he's forgotten it...

no i'm stuck in a loop of the machine booting to safemode and not knowing the admin password.

does anyone know of a way that i can reset this password OR change the msconfig back to standard?

I know i shouldve checked but i didnt think anyone would wanna change their admin password!?

any help would be great.

Thank you in advance

WIll

There is a boot disc that can reset the admin password of a system to anything you want or nothing at all. I don't recall which one I've used but if you Google a little you'll find it.

hey thanks for the reply. Cant believe its a week ago since i posted this. poor form on my part.

In the end i found some boot disc that ran in a dos / command prompt style.

gave me a list of all users that had used the computer and the ability to reset the passwords or clear them.

In the end i just reset the admin password so i could change my msconfig settings.

one thing to note though is that it messed up the other user accounts e.g when i tried to log in it would say something along the lines of "windows cannot log you in as the user is corrupt. logging you in with a temporary user"

it didn t bother me as I just needed the data off it before i reformat it for a fresh install, but worth taking into accoun if other people get in this sort of issue.

looking back on it i could've used a linux live disc to get what i wanted aswell :)

thanks again

Back