A recurring Verizon DSL connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been having a recurring problem with my Verizon DSL. Every night for the last 3 or so weeks I cannot connect to websites. What's odd is the fact that the Westell website and all tests with tech support show that I have a full strong signal 864/160.
Tne service works great during the day, but at about 8pm I simply cannot load up even simplest pages. it lasts until 8am or so.

I had opened multiple tickets, replaced the modem, had a tech at the house put in a new home run line from the DSL jack to the splitter in the garage, had the CO put me on a different server.

The problem repeats itself every night.

Any thoughts?
I am 100% certain at this point that the problem lies outside the house, within the CO maybe. I'm quite a long distance from the CO. However, I never had these issue before. Could they have all of a sudden started some kind of a nightly process that is causing this.

P.S. Weather is not a issue.

thanks in advance!

On-site work force (oswf) performing local maintenance ordinarily do not report outages to tech support when working with small portions of the network.

Having a strong signal does not confirm that your DSL was addressed.

Provisioning means routing data to your DSL is correct for both uplink & downlink sides.

So at the times when you experience the problem, check out the DSL diagnostic results (browser access to DSL modem). IF results are all OK, then have tech support use remote access to your computer. This should detect provisioning problems.

It looks like what you're describing.
I do have access to the Westell diagnostic page even when the Internet essentially doesn't work.
However, remote access is not likely to work, since I would have to go to certain site on the web, read a code, and give them permission to access my computer. I can't browse. Therefore, they won't be able to start a remote session.

Message #3 in this thread uses the command window to get the browser out of the picture. Of course it uses the underlying network setup on the computer.

DSL is a problematic technology (at least in the olden times) - 'wig-in / wig-out'. Your connection wigs on a schedule - quite unusual.

The diagnostic page may have advance tests. For AT&T DSL, the diagnostic results showed a failure that I related to the tech. Provisioning change was made overnight, and the problem was solved. I ignored the advisory message trying to scare the user before entering the 'hallowed' troubleshooting menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back