A second opinion on my parts selection

Bnwy1

Hey all. I just ordered some new parts, and would like to get an opinion from the community.
Current specs
ThermalTake VA8000 Armor Case (will remain the same)

Seasonic S12 600/W SLI rdy PSU (will remain the same)

A8N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
Dual-Core Processor ADA3800BVBOX (OC'd to 2.6GHz)

2gb Patriot PC 3200 DDR RAM

XFX 9800GTX+ pci-e graphics card (will remain the same)

Hyper 6 CoolerMaster heatsink

2 IDE optical DVD burners

74gb 10k Raptor, 300gb Maxtor, 250gb Maxtor all SATA
I'll be replacing the mobo RAM and CPU along with upgrading to a SATA6/g 1Tb 6/g HD., and updating the old IDE optical drives to a single SATA optical drive. Upgrade parts to follow

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Eventually I would like to update my current graphics to a XFX GTX 470 (DX11 support) within 3 months or so, and was also thinking of going with a CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling (ALC) aftermarket water cooler.

So bottom line what do you guys and gals think?

I dont see the point of the coolit cooler with that cpu, not to mention you need a new cpu with that Asrock mobo that's am2/am3 capable, not 939.

The sata 3 is pointless if you can't saturate even a sata 2. Would be nice have the headroom but from the looks of your upgrades you aren't even buying high end product during your upgrade process. So do you plan on buying ssd's within the next year or two? If not, stick with a lower end board.

The ram is okay, recommended often on this site for sure.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

I did not realize I left this from the list. The point of the self contained water cooler is because I plan to OC the CPU further then a full Ghz. not to mention the reduction of noise. In a couple of months I'll be replacing the 9800GTX with a XFX 470 GPU. I do not see the error in pairing a SATA 6/g HD with a SATA 6/G mobo. I would have to guess that the new board paired with a new HD capable of the same speed I would no doubt see a performance boost over my current setup. I use my raptor for game storage MMO's are quickly filling it up.

As to your question of a SSD yes I do plan I getting one for a boot drive as soon as funds allow and strictly use the new 1TB as storage. I originally was going to go with a 1090T but was trying to stretch my dollar as I'm not a wealthy person That and I figured I could OC the 1055T to at least 3.5-6GHz on air and hopefully with the water cooler hit at least 4-4.2GHz. There is always next time. Oh thank you for inadvertently pointing out I forgot to add my new proc to the list.

you will need a high performance cooler with that CPU. I have it myself and it runs VERY hot. I spent the extra bucks and got a high performance air cooling cpu fan. The stock fan is extremely loud. I do not recommend water cooling.

Eventually I would like to update my current graphics to a XFX GTX 470 (DX11 support) within 3 months or so
Might need to look at a different vendor. XFX do not produce GTX 470's (nor any other GT/GTS/GTX 4xx/5xx). Within three months the GTX 470 will be EOL. If you prefer an nvidia graphics solution then the GTX 560 and 570 will be along in that timeframe.

Back