A silly question on PCI Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I add a Pci Xprss 2.0 x16 graphics card into Pci Xprss 1.0 x16 slot..what is gonna happen....does da card gonna work or not??

I know this is a silly qstn..but jst want to know wat's gonna happen...plz reply..

Tx :)

Hi sc,
not a silly question at all, pcie gen 2 cards are backwards compatible with pcie 1.0, so it will work just fine. if this is a newer motherboard, you may be able to activate your pcie slots to gen 2. as sometimes they come defaulted to pcie 1.0, just something to check.

Not to mention the fact that whatever PCI-E 2.0 card you'll be using in a 1.0 slot won't saturate the bandwidth anyway. It is indeed backward compatible as noted by red1776 - and there's plenty of headroom in 1.0, so go for it.

Tx for da reply......

My motherboard is Foxconn MCP61SM2MA..its kinda old model...it has x16 slot...how do I know i can upgrade its slot to x16 2.0...by Bios upgrade?

Another question... If i install how can figure out which Graphics card needs how much power supply...is there any software or something like this out there...?

Whether or not "upgrading" to 2.0 is a feature of your motherboard is irrelevant - like I said, even if you install a 2.0 card it won't saturate a 1.0 slot's bandwidth. Either way... take a look in your motherboard manual (which can be found on the manufacturer's website, if you don't have a physical copy).

To figure out the power requirements of a video card, check out its manufacturer's website, or run a Google search (e.g. GeForce 8800GT power requirements). I'm sure you'll get more than enough information - otherwise, feel free to post the card here.

put it this way, pcie 1.0 is 250 gb/s pcie 2.0 is 500 gb/s and i believe that the biggest of cards (the gtx 295) is pushing 222 gb/s a sec, so just something to keep in mind for if you get a monster card next year when the new ones come out pushing 250gb/s + or get a newer board. yours is only capable of pcie 1.0 though

you cant update and get 2.0 it is hardware based not software but any card you get now will be fine on 1.0 spec.

you cant update and get 2.0 it is hardware based not software but any card you get now will be fine on 1.0 spec.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. Red1776 suggested that the original poster's motherboard might feature an option to enable and disable the PCI-E 2.0 (Gen 2) speeds. This is indeed an present among some boards.

If it was aimed at me for saying, "Whether or not "upgrading" to 2.0 is a feature of your motherboard is irrelevant" - please note the quotes around "upgrading" and how the post prior to mine referred to the possible enabling/disabling of PCI-E 2.0 as an "upgrade".

Thanks for the rere..reconfirmation that PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back