A simple AGP problem i'm sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfatgoalie

Hi all, First time poster here!

I just have a quick querey that i was hoping someone could help me with.

I just recently brought Half Life 2 but apprantly im told my video hardware isnt sufficent to run the game, im only running 32mb on board graphics (not surprised then!)

My computer is a Time, 2700Processor, 512Ram with a 120Gb hard disk, it does have an AGP slot but this is the problem!

Im not sure what type of card i can buy, obviously i need an AGP one (ive concluded that so far!) but can i jusy buy any AGP card? So far i know my slot supprts up to 8x but the nature of the slot is concerning me. It is just one long slot but most of the cards i have seen on websites and in shops all have like 2 or 3 sections of pins with deviders, will these fit in my slot? I believe that my slot is 'AGP Universal' does that sound right!? and will it therefor take such cards as ive seen in the shops and on websites!?

Also my slot is 32bit BUS width, are there any compability issues here or are all AGP cards 32bit width?! Also are there an issues with the speed of the cards/slot AGP clock, or again is that an irrelevant issue! Like for instance the ABIT RADEON R9250-128-ADT graphics card says it has a 240 mhz Clock speed and a 64-bit DDR memory interface, so is this the same 32bit thing that i was worried about and therefor does this make the card incompatible? and again the 240 mhz speed is that a problem? like for instance is it possible that my motherboard will only support up to 200mhz cards?? i have no idea if thats right but is it possible?

Basically im thinking that i need not worry about the above and i can just buy a regular 8x AGP card and it SHOULD work! does that sound right!? My Mother board is a FIC k7M-400 and the ID is 07/08/2003-KM400-8235-6A6LYF0EC-00 and my front side Bus is 64bit width with a 167mhz real clock (333 effeftive) if thats any help!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! and also can anyone recommend a card!? im not into gaming in a massive way im just after something basic to run HL2 and maybe some future games.

I was thinkning like a ABIT RADEON R9250-128-ADT, a PNY GEFORCE FX 5200 or a SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200SE 128MB DDR GRAPHICS CARD

all or which are between £30-£50 on PCworld website and was all i was looking for really? does anyone know if they are compatable and any good for running half life 2??

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

BFG.

calm down, dude.

It depends on what you want to put VC in. You tell us that you are running 32mb vc in half-life 2. Ouch, this cost you lot of FTP.

Anyway, you say that you notice a long AGP. It sound to me that it is AGP Pro.

But I have checked out FIC website, your board is K7M-400, running at 333mhz fsb. FIC stated that K7M-400 does support AGP 8X.

A bit of suggestion, buy XFX Geforce FX 5700 LE 256mb ddr ram. This is sufficent juice to support any heavy directx 9.0 games.

Find other website rather than PCworld. try this website. www.newegg.com This is best retailer over USA. I suggest you to try it out.

Good luck.

Lucan

Ahh that's great thanks for that!

So that card you suggested will run on my PC then? and if i do have an AGP pro slot what does that mean? what type of cards will my slot take? also what number is that, is it an AGP 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 slot?

UGGGGG so confused!

Also do you think that my slot is a AGP Pro based on the picture on the manufacturers website?

ahhh, wayyyy back to 1999, a high-end video card is 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 AGP is running in AGP PRO, agp pro is a agp with a long strip, a 2/3 more length than AGP 8x

|========|======| AGP 4X/8X
|========|======|

|=======|==================|=======| AGP PRO
|=======|==================|=======|

Be warned, AGP 4x/8x can only run video card fine if VC is 1.5V. AGP Pro is 3.3V

What you see in FIC website is AGP 4x/8x, but the FIC stated that your mobo will run on only on AGP 8x. Keep that in mind and ask people in store about 1.5v AGP 8x video card. A video card i suggested will run only in AGP slot. My doubt is that you dont have AGP Pro. Not sure? got to

AGP 4x/8x is in fifth picture
http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/abit-si7g/index03.htm

and AGP Pro
http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/p3c2000/images/AGP_Pro.jpg

you will see the biggggest difference between them

Good luck and welcome to techspot!

Lucan

P.S. Yes the video card i suggested will work with your FIC k7m-400 :):)

Oh, hey, AGP 2x is on AGP 1.0; AGP Pro and AGP 4x is on AGP 2.0; AGP 8x is on AGP 3.0

Ok Ok,

I opened up my system to take a look and i have neither of the slots that you described! my slot is just one long slot woth no deviders at all, just one long continuous slot; that is;

|==================|

Just like that!

I did some research and apparantly this website tell me that that is a universal AGP 3.0 slot? and since my MOBO specs tell me that it supports 8x speed i must conclude that it is a universal 3.0 4x/8x slot! and it therefor supports both 1.5v and 3.3v is that correct! oh pleeeeeeease thats correct!

Sniff! I just want to buy a graphics card! Grrr, but hey u said the one u recommended will run fine with my MOBO so i can just roll with that right!? Do you still believe that to be correct based on what ive just told you!?

Cheers
BFG

Also can you tell me if the following card will work with my
FIC K7M-400 mother board.

Sparkle 128MB AGP GeForce FX 5200 + TV + DVI

if my MOBO supports 8x AGP it has to be AGP3.0 correct (universal with just one long continuous slot)!!!!? and the specs on this card say Bus Type: AGP 8X / 4X / 2X

Sp therefor gotta work!

SURELY!

then at last i can go out and get it and have it sorted!!!

BFG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back