A smaller, handheld-only version of the Nintendo Switch predicted for 2018-2019

midian182

Staff member

With the Nintendo Switch now officially Nintendo’s fastest-selling console ever, analysts are already speculating about a new variation of the machine. According to a Bloomberg report, Citigroup Inc. believes a smaller Switch that’s closer to Nintendo’s DS and 3DS will arrive during the company’s next fiscal year (April 2018 – March 2019).

The current hybrid Switch console lets players enjoy games on the move and through a home TV via the dock, but it is a larger, heavier, and more power-hungry device than the 3DS.

"Although the Nintendo Switch can be used as a handheld device, we think smaller children could struggle to use it comfortably in that format due to its size and weight," Citigroup analysts said last week. "Accordingly, we think Nintendo will launch a lighter, dedicated handheld version of the Switch, possibly to be called the Switch Mini."

Making the Switch Mini a smaller, handheld-only device would result in a much lower selling price than the current Switch. Although analysts didn’t say how much it might cost, they believe the smaller machine could sell 6.7 million units in the 12 months through March 2019. By which time the current Switch is expected to have shifted 25.7 million units.

Last month, GameStop’s senior director of merchandising, Eric Bright, predicted that the Switch would eventually surpass the 100 million+ selling Wii. SuperData forecasts that the Switch will sell 7.2 million units this year alone. It may take some time for it to match the fifth best-selling console of all time, but it looks set to overtake the Wii U, which only sold 14 million units, quite soon.

Permalink to story.

I disagree with Citigroup's 'professionals'.
Nintendo already offer a plethora of small handheld devices that are fine for small children, and the switch is small enough. Any smaller and your beginning to phase into smartphone territory, where there are ZILLIONS of games.
Just my .02

I am still baffled how a console with no relevant games apart from that one game that has awful performance and 10 year old graphics can be such a success and now they speculate that an even smaller version of the same console is about to come which will have even poorer gaming experience.

The ergonomics are already a disaster and now an even smaller device will make this issue even worse.

Meanwhile there's still a 3DS.

Yeah, and people used to say the PS Vita went down due to lack of games. They even called that reason "obvious".

I am still baffled how a console with no relevant games apart from that one game that has awful performance and 10 year old graphics can be such a success and now they speculate that an even smaller version of the same console is about to come which will have even poorer gaming experience.

I'm guessing someone's parents refused to get them one.
No need to pout, there's always Christmas!

I'm guessing someone's parents refused to get them one.
No need to pout, there's always Christmas!
I'm guessing someone bought a Switch at launch and felt the need to childishly defend their purchase.

Won't pout, there's always CEMU.

I don't see why people are buying it either. My guess is because its better than the Wii U, which most people passed on.

The ergonomics are already a disaster and now an even smaller device will make this issue even worse.

Meanwhile there's still a 3DS.
Apparently you missed every console in existence? Most consoles only have 1 or 2 relevant launch games, and those get buried quickly. Zelda is on par with launch games like halo in that they have a large audience.

Also, 10 year old graphics? I cant think of any game that looked like breath of the wild back in 2006. Most games were PS2 quality back then, and switch graphics blow away PS2. Besides, a portable system doesnt need the graphical fidelity of a home console, never has. The switch being as good as it is is already impressive.

And if you are going to complain about low graphics and poor ergonomics, perhaps choosing the 3DS is a poor choice, given it's poor ergonomics and PS1 level graphics.

Back