TechSpot

A staggering number of Twitter accounts have never published a tweet, report claims

By Shawn Knight
Apr 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Twitter is one of the most popular social networks in the world with some 974 million accounts but just how many of those have ever published? A new report from Twocharts, a website that tracks Twitter activity, claims to have...

Read more

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 186   +39

Guess that makes them all "twittees".

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

I believe the large number is from people setting up many, many accounts. What people do is create a whole bunch of accounts in order to boost the follower counts of their favorite celebs. I heard that Justin Bieber (often mentioned as having the most followers) has about 60% of his followers as bogus accounts. Lady Gaga also has a high number of them.

4. Mike Steele

Mike Steele TS Member Posts: 37   +6

I use twitter as my feed reader.

5. What a bunch of ****'s.

Hey I have a unique idea - let's do what everyone else is doing.

While we are at it, let's become overly obsessed with what people think about us and if we get requoted or 'liked'.

Fark that.

6. I don't use twitter or any social media for good reason: anything I post online can potentially damage my chances of getting a job.

trgz likes this.
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Not to mention the fact that most of the Twitter accounts that have published "tweets", needn't have bothered.(n)

8. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 560   +150

Yeah.... I get a lot of those random people following me...... not that I use it all that much :p

9. blackcat77

blackcat77 TS Rookie Posts: 18

I use Twitter for personal use and for posting information for a non-profit group. My personal account is used mostly just for reading what other people are saying - I'm following about 200 people but only have 10 followers and about 20 tweets in several months since I opened the account. The other one, however, has about 11,000 tweets in about two years and 250 followers.

10. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Lots of the accounts are probably robots.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Me too and that's all I use it for. I've never posted a tweet. I don't have followers or follow anybody.

Mike Steele likes this.

12. Think about the Miranda warning and then remember that your metadata is being stored somewhere with a program making decisions based on it that may affect your future.
    It is best to steer clear of all social sites.

13. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,444   +124

I've had my account for over 3 years and I have probably not made more than 30 tweets, from which 20 should have been from the first week.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.