A "STOP 0x0000008E" Error Message Occurs in Wdmaud.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Napster listening to music yesterday when all of a sudden I get a BSoD (STOP 0x0000008E)...

Anyway, I looked it up on microsoft and all it said was to upgrade to the latest service pack.
I am already on SP2...
------------------------------
Also, last night I was downloading some files from my FTP so I would have a local copy of them again. I got tired so I went to bed and left it running...
I got up this morning and my computer was on another BSoD...
This time I got the:

STOP 0x0000008E in ks.sys

What I hate about all of this is I don't have an idea what is triggering the errors. I did a search on google and saw something about hyperthreading. However, when I clicked the link it was dead and the google cached page would not load.
Below are a few specifications.

Windows XP Media Center SP2
Modified DELL Dimension XPS 600
3.4 Ghz Intel P4 w/HT
120GB + 360GB SATA HDD's (7200 RPM)
2GB DDR2 667Mhz SDRAM
DirectX 9.0c
Creative X-Fi
nVidia 256 MB 7800 GTX
BTW, I just formatted my system yesterday and installed a few applications.
Below are the applications currently installed:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 + Image Ready
Adobe Acrobat
Microsoft Office 2003 Pro
MSN Messenger Live Beta!
SmartFTP
QuickTime
Napster
XAMPP (Web Server - PHP/MySQL/ect...)
Ewido
CCleaner
Macromedia Flash 8
Macromedia Fireworks 8
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
Mozilla Firefox

I had already done Windows Update, and installed all updates that were listed, before the errors occured.

I have no idea as to what caused this.
After each driver/software install I did restart my system as asked, because I knew what would happen if I didn't... I was trying to prevent the BSoD's before I even got them... :(

well then.. since you've start fresh we can eliminate software problems.. now we go hardware..

test ram with memtest, hdd with chkdsk /f and/or a hdd diagnostic app from its manufacturer, then open up your case, clean out the dust and take a look on your mobo to see if there is any damage.. also post us the make and watt ratings on the psu...

the only problem i know with HT technology is that some programs respond faster because of it and some other programs dont like it. its like a virtual dual core or sorts.. dont know the technical side of it so i'll leave it open for others to fill in the blanks...

how did you go with the other troubleshooting? hdd, motherboard etc?

I havn't tested the MMB yet. However, on the HDD side of things, I had to do a chkdsk /r to repair the ntfs.sys just before the fresh install...
So things should be fine on it. Although, when I get some time I will run another test on it. I've got alot of work to do first. I'll let ya know what happens. If you guys can think of any other possible explination please let me know, I don't know if it could be an unstable driver causing random errors or what. I have actually gotten random errors like this ever since I got the computer. I called DELL about it but since I did not know what triggered them I had no way of telling if they were fixed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back