A third of American adults now own tablets, study finds

By Shawn Knight
Jun 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new report from Pew Research Center released earlier today revealed that a third of American adults now own a tablet, further validating the notion that the portable devices are eating away at market share once owned by traditional computers....

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

LOL!!! Who did they poll, people in an Apple store?? One out of three American adults owns a tablet? And most are middle aged?? I don't know who they think is gullible enough to buy this load of BS.
    avoidz and Arris like this.
  3. @psycros

but yet we are to believe you? hypocritical no?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,082   +1,184

But yet everything that was said was in the form of a question, so why would you think there was anything to believe?
    Arris likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,120   +732

I dont like using tablets. I prefer a keyboard and mouse. If anything, a Windows 8 hybrid is the best combo.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,210   +524

I never found a use for my Asus Android tablet which I eventually gave away. There's nothing it could do that my phone couldn't and it's far easier to carry.
    Arris likes this.
  7. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

Much the same situation. Don't really see the need for a tablet. With a smartphone approaching 5inch in screen size, laptop and desktop computers and PS3 for media/streaming through TV I really have no use for a tablet.
  8. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 764   +118

Moses had the first "10" tablets. :)

my first tablet is an archos 2.8" given away by a u.s. e-tailer. (a sibling working in the u.s. bought some computer parts from tigerdirect/bestbuy/newegg and the archos is the giveaway; I forgot which e-tailer it was; since the archos 28 is an entry level model, the battery is so lol and brokedown after ~1 year.)
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,120   +732

Yeah. I like my iPad, but I find myself never using it. Web browsing is trash on it IMO.
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,490   +73

I've own 45 of them since 2010, this is what I do program in Android so that's why I had so many. Windows 8 Pro Tablet about 1x but still didn't see anyone ask me do do a poll. Except for CR = Consumer Reports. But they just wanted to know the brands and has the tablet giving any issues for repair.

Top tablet
    I've own is 2x 10.1-inch Toshiba Thrives now running Android OS 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Middle tablet
    7-inch Coby Kyros MID 7042 running Android OS 4..0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Plus PowerCode 885_1000 DCX ROM Upgrade

Low tablet
    9.7-inch Skytex Skytab S970 running Windows 8 Pro
  11. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

Like the article says, my tablet is a toy. An accessory. In addition to my much more useful desktop computer (laptop). It's handy for browsing on the crapper.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,490   +73

No the tablet is not a toy. Can be use to monitor networks in home, business or out in the field. Tablet can be mounted in your truck, suv, car. Some older F-150 can mount it as a radio/navi replacement. Just some modifications and your set. Tablet can be removed also for security.

So no it not a toy!
  13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

I don't have one either, but it is purely an economic reason. If I had a better paying job, it would be on a list of things I'd get that I want (but don't necessarily need), it probably wouldn't be real high, but it might break into the top 5.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.