A third of American adults now own tablets, study finds

By Shawn Knight
Jun 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new report from Pew Research Center released earlier today revealed that a third of American adults now own a tablet, further validating the notion that the portable devices are eating away at market share once owned by traditional computers....

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

LOL!!! Who did they poll, people in an Apple store?? One out of three American adults owns a tablet? And most are middle aged?? I don't know who they think is gullible enough to buy this load of BS.
    avoidz and Arris like this.
  3. @psycros

but yet we are to believe you? hypocritical no?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

But yet everything that was said was in the form of a question, so why would you think there was anything to believe?
    Arris likes this.
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I dont like using tablets. I prefer a keyboard and mouse. If anything, a Windows 8 hybrid is the best combo.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I never found a use for my Asus Android tablet which I eventually gave away. There's nothing it could do that my phone couldn't and it's far easier to carry.
    Arris likes this.
  7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Much the same situation. Don't really see the need for a tablet. With a smartphone approaching 5inch in screen size, laptop and desktop computers and PS3 for media/streaming through TV I really have no use for a tablet.
  8. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

Moses had the first "10" tablets. :)

my first tablet is an archos 2.8" given away by a u.s. e-tailer. (a sibling working in the u.s. bought some computer parts from tigerdirect/bestbuy/newegg and the archos is the giveaway; I forgot which e-tailer it was; since the archos 28 is an entry level model, the battery is so lol and brokedown after ~1 year.)
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah. I like my iPad, but I find myself never using it. Web browsing is trash on it IMO.
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I've own 45 of them since 2010, this is what I do program in Android so that's why I had so many. Windows 8 Pro Tablet about 1x but still didn't see anyone ask me do do a poll. Except for CR = Consumer Reports. But they just wanted to know the brands and has the tablet giving any issues for repair.

Top tablet
    I've own is 2x 10.1-inch Toshiba Thrives now running Android OS 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Middle tablet
    7-inch Coby Kyros MID 7042 running Android OS 4..0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Plus PowerCode 885_1000 DCX ROM Upgrade

Low tablet
    9.7-inch Skytex Skytab S970 running Windows 8 Pro
  11. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 456   +54

Like the article says, my tablet is a toy. An accessory. In addition to my much more useful desktop computer (laptop). It's handy for browsing on the crapper.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

No the tablet is not a toy. Can be use to monitor networks in home, business or out in the field. Tablet can be mounted in your truck, suv, car. Some older F-150 can mount it as a radio/navi replacement. Just some modifications and your set. Tablet can be removed also for security.

So no it not a toy!
  13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I don't have one either, but it is purely an economic reason. If I had a better paying job, it would be on a list of things I'd get that I want (but don't necessarily need), it probably wouldn't be real high, but it might break into the top 5.