A Weird Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendMind

Hello Folks,

I have upgraded from D865GBF board and Intel Celeron 2.4D GHz processor with DDR266- 256MB Kingston RAM and nVidia inno3d 6600 GT 128MB GPU to the following system:

----------------------------------------------------------
Board: Intel D865GSA - 800MHz SB

Processor: Intel Origional 3.0 GHz - Socket 775 - 800MHz FSB

RAM: Kingston 512MB x 2 = 1GB DDR-400

DVD-Writer: ASUS 1608P3S

UPS: Alpha 5305 Digital, 500VA

Graphics Card remains same i.e. nVidia Inno3D 6600GT 128 MB
-------------------------------------------------------------

But now I have another issue which is quite weird i.e. whenever I launch Heroes of Might
and Magic 5, its start up screens run smoothly but when real game almost begins to start my
system just shutdowns straight away. No warning, no message, no signal just shutsdown as if
someone has unplugged its power cable. When I try to turn it back on I have to first unplug
the cable to my power supply (at back of casing) and then re-plug it. Only then my system turn
on.

Also I have played Doom 3 on it and it runs just fine. It runs fine other applications. As far
as heavy games are concerned, I have only checked HoMM5 and Doom 3 on this system yet.

P.S. Sticker on My power supply reads ATX-300A (is that mean that it is 300Watt power supply?)

What should I do to resolve this problem...? Please guide me in this regard.

Accept my Thanks for ur help in advance.

OK, one more thing I have figured out that is, it is not necssary to unplug my
power cable and then replug it in order to turn computer back on, instead if I
just turn off my UPS power switch or main power switch off and then on computer turns on fine.

A better psu cant hurt, that is a 300watt that you have i expect and it undoubtedly just isn't enough.

Putting a 400watt or better should help and probably fix your problem.

The best advice i can give you is to spend as much as you can afford on a psu an to go only for well known makes.

If you are looking to get a new one, let me know how much you have to spend and where abouts you are in the world!!!

It cant be PSU because it plays Doom 3 which is just as graphical as any other game. Its probaly just a problem with the game. Overheating might also be the problem.

Well 300watts is pretty low for a fairly high spec pc like yours, go to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and check out how much power your pc needs.

You have a generic psu so the 300watts is peak only, its probable constant running wattage is probably 250 or less and the voltages are probably becoming unstable.

The more expensive psu's will run much much closer to their peak wattages without a problem.

It seems like a PSU problem definitely, since the PSU is shutting down to avoid getting fried. LegendMind, why don't u try putting a desk fan towards the inside of the PC after opening up the sides of the case. Also, see if u can get a friends' PSU to get to replace in ur PC. This is just to determine if it's the PSU and to rule out overheating completely.

Well one thing I want to share with u is that, when PC is operational i.e. doing
my daily routine work, virus checking, doing work in Macromedia Fireworks etc.
it works fine for hours and hours. It is not a game issue because same game I had running with same PSU with the following specs:

-------------------------------------
Board: Intel D865 GBF
Processor: Intel CeleronD 2.40 GHz., Socket 478, BusSpeeed 533MHz
Memory: 256MB, DIMM, DDR 266
OS Version: Win XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT - 128MB
-------------------------------------

I upgraded my system with the specs listed in my 1st post in this thread and
this problem of sudden shutdown arised.

I am wondering what is the wrong...? Please do suggest me something.

Thanks for the replies friends.

As suggested by rik, I visited the eXtreme PSU Calculator URL and caculated my
wattage. It is 355 Watts.

Also tell me if any temperature monitoring program is avaiable for Intel D865GSA
board since I have not found one on its driver CD.

My previous board D865GBF driver CD had one with it. Can I use it with my
D865GSA or it may be used only with D865GBF.

You definately need a better power supply. The 300 is the maxim wattage and if your system can use upto 355watts then the psu wont last long and is probably causing all your problems.

For temperature monitoring, speedfan from the downloads section should do you.

As i said in my previous post "The 300 is the maxim wattage" meaning yes, your psu is 300watts. The fact it doesn't state it clearly means its a cheap generic one.

Spending as much as you can afford on a good quality power supply of 400wats or more will fix your problem.

Thanks rik, any susggestion in this regard. I mean which PSU is good quality
with respect to price. My range is 25-35$. Depending upon ur suggestion I can
go for 40$ too.

Problem is, I'm in the UK and I'm assuming you are in the US???

Therefore i don't keep up with prices in the US at all, but a lot of people on here talk about newegg.com so you could try that. EBay can be a good place to get bits but you need to research the product else where to make sure it is what you want.

As for make, i have an eye-t 450watt and think its very good and cost £25, but i'm not sure if they are available in the US. Wracking my brain at the mo for other makes, enemax springs to mind, but thats all at the mo.

Let me know if you are able to buy online (i.e. if you have a credit card) or if you have any local computer shops that have websites and i can do a bit of research for you.

Well, I am from Islamabad, Pakistan. Can u tell me which one of the following
may be better power supply as they are available in local market. AOpen,
Asus, EBox, CoolerMaster. Should I purchase 400 Watts or more than 400
watts one.

AOpen are relatively cheap, but Ive never even seen one of their psu's!!! Asus, i use quite a bit of their equipment but again, Ive never used one of their psu's. Ebox, never heard of it at all. Coolermaster, all their stuff seems to be very good.

Wattage wise, i would say get 450watts or more then you wont need to replace it again for quite some time, and it will allow for more power hungry graphics cards and more/bigger hard drives.

Out of all the makes you listed, Coolermaster is the one i would go for, they are fairly expensive, but you get what you pay for. They should be able to run up to about 80% to 90% of the wattage rating indefinitely without a problem.

Basically, the more expensive psu's will run fine at a higher percentage of their maximum wattage. As an example, a Coolermaster 450watt will be fine running at 80 to 90% which means 380watts constant roughly.
A cheap 300watt will only run ok up to 70% ish of its peak load which means about 210watts. These are only rough calculations and by no means are they gospel so please don't quote me.
They are only meant as a rough example to show why it is better to get a good psu.

Yes, CoolerMaster is known to build solid, high-performance power supplies so u should definitely go for that. Other brands, if available, include Antec, Fortron FSP, Enermax, OCZ and Thermaltake.

OK guys, I have bought a new 450-Watt PSU. Its make is coolermaster. Now
what I want to tell u is that actually the fan on my Inno3D nVidia 6600GT
128MB card was choking and sometimes did not start to spin at all that was the root of the problem of abrupt shutdowns during game i.e. in HoMM5 or other heavy games.

But now I stuck in an altogether new problem as I could not find a replace for
the same fan as of the origional one of above mentioned 6600 GT card. The
tech guy at store used his own vision and subsequently installed a bigger
fan(only marginal) than the origional one at the sink of the card. The card is now working fine.... Well, in HoMM5 it seems to be overheating as I have
noted that whenever GPU Core Temp crosses 73C (displayed in nVidia Temp Settings of Forceware 84.21 driver software dialog box) the game exits to
desktop. What should I do now? Perhaps changing the sink of the card it self
or what...?

I am attaching the pic of my card in its modified form.

Could be worth removing the heat sink carefully from your graphics card and applying some fresh heat transfer paste. But be very careful and delicate if you decide to attempt this as it is fairly easy to damage your graphics card.

Well, rik I am completely unaware of this "paste" stuff. Please guide me in this regard and tell me if any other solution may work?

Also I want to ask why the same card was running same game i.e. HoMM5 on my old system which was Celeron 2.4D GHz and Intel D865GBF board. All I have done is to upgrade my specs a bit to Origional Intel 3.0 GHz HT and Intel D865GSA board with 1GB DDR-400 RAM running in Dual Channel mode in order to improve my system's performance in HoMM5 and in other heavy games, but all I have got is this heating up of my nVidia 6600GT. I don't understand why is this so, afterall same card was running same game on older setup (although there was significant jerking and waiting in game) but it never heated up, at least I was never threw out of game whatever reason was (nor because of power supply issue neither of heating up).

I am confused. Please someone figure this out for me out there. I shall be thankful to u.

LegendMind said:
Also I want to ask why the same card was running same game i.e. HoMM5 on my old system which was Celeron 2.4D GHz and Intel D865GBF board. All I have done is to upgrade my specs a bit to Origional Intel 3.0 GHz HT and Intel D865GSA board with 1GB DDR-400 RAM running in Dual Channel mode in order to improve my system's performance in HoMM5 and in other heavy games, but all I have got is this heating up of my nVidia 6600GT. I don't understand why is this so, afterall same card was running same game on older setup (although there was significant jerking and waiting in game) but it never heated up, at least I was never threw out of game whatever reason was (nor because of power supply issue neither of heating up).

Probably, it's because the newer, hotter-running CPU has increased your case temp.
Make sure you have appropiate case cooling. You should have 1 front intake fan, and 1 rear exhaust fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back