A25-S2792 doesn't power up yellow light flashes after pressing power button

SBHack

Toshiba Satellite A25-S2792 w/ XP & P4 has greenpower chord is lit and yellow battery light is flashing when power chord is plugged in. After I press the power button, the power chord light changes to yellow, begins flashing and the battery light goes out. Removing the battery gives the same results. Pressing and holding power button down for 20 seconds w/ battery out yields same result as well. Suggestions?

Just tried that. No change. What are you basing your statement about the MOBO on? Is there any testing I can do to prove or dis-prove this?

"What are you basing your statement about the MOBO on?"...

My technical experience... You can try removing the hard drive and see if anything comes to life on the screen. if not, the only thing left to do, is have the motherboard replaced or buy another laptop

@Tmagic650 My question wasn't in doubt of your ability; only wanted to know the process that brought you to this conclusion. My training has taught me that after reviewing symptoms, formulating a theory, I then need to test the theory to prove or dis-prove before moving on to the next step. I have had the exact same problem with a Tecra 2100 and although, as with this A25, many people in this forum were interested in viewing any responses, you were the first to make any suggestion and for that I am truly greatful. Tosiba's tech forum also offered no suggestion. One other tech forum (of which I am trying to relocate) stated that the battery can be bad, the cmos battery be bad, the cmos battery could have become disconnected, or one other connection could have become disconnected. I don't want to spend $30 on a test piece for the Tecra or $60 on a test piece for the A25, so I am going to try locating the other info on the known problems that are common with the Tecra and see how they relate. Thank you again for suggestions.

@Evabraun2000 Your IT dept must be deep into saving resources. Most would swap the laptop & ship back to the lease company for review.

SBHack,
If you remove the battery, you will take it out of the problem equation. You could try a new one. It is possible that the CMOS battery is dead, but highly unlikely, I have checked them from dead motherboards and they all were okay. You can suspect a weak or "dead" CMOS battery when the laptop looses time or looses some other bios settings. The laptop will still show something on the booting screen

@Evabraun2000 Your IT dept must be deep into saving resources. Most would swap the laptop & ship back to the lease company for review.

That's what I did????????

Just for grins & giggles, I dove in to search for any loose connections, burn tracks or such. I found that the CMOS battery has a voltage reading of .47v instead of 3v. I will be replacing it & retesting.

I just resolved this exact issue on a Toshiba Satellite R-15-S829. I dismantled the machine and found that one of the cables coming from the monitor was unseated from the outlet on the board. It was a 20 (or so) pin connector and it was partially unplugged (no doubt caused from spinning of the monitor). I seated the connector and put everything together and everything worked fine.

Back