TechSpot

A4WP approves wireless power spec, promises "spatial freedom"

By Rick
Oct 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Following yesterday's news of AT&T, Google and Starbucks joining the Power Matters Alliance, another wireless power consortium by the name of Alliance for Wireless Power has announced today the approval of its own wireless power standard. The new specification promises...

Read more

2. shloomper

shloomper TS Rookie

Hi Rick, saying that Qi is a "powermat" based wireless power standard is missleading. Powermat is using the PMA standard and not the Qi

3. Critica1Hit

Critica1Hit TS Rookie Posts: 27

I guess he just meant a device needs to rest in some sort of surface like the powermat.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

If I meant the company Powermat, it would have been capitalized, but I see your point. I'm going to space out the word to avoid confusion.

5. Power Pad would be a better choice.....That is what most are use to calling them from Touchstone's version and Verizon that is Qi is called a Pad.... Plus the copy cats of Duracell Powermat, is PowerPad....LOL

6. PMA and A4WP are the same People/Group.....

7. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Just don't spill your coffee on your desk. Ouch

8. I know someone has previously mentioned this, but can someone tell me the difference between the PMA and the A4WP? Seems to be more Alliances/Consortiums than kinds of wireless technology!

9. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

That's the nice thing about standards. Everyone has their own

10. 'nice' for the consumer who wants to charge their Nokia Lumia 920 with a Powermat Charging pad but can't cos everyone has their own standards! ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.