TechSpot

a7n8x-vm/400 problems galore

By Nick7777
May 14, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, first of all, thanks to anyone who can offer help.

To begin with, I built a low cost system to upgrade my old one. I have an xp 2800+, asus a7n8x-vm/400, 512 pc 3200 samsung, samsung combo drive, wd ide 160 gig se, windows xp pro.

As for problems:

1. The main problem is the onboard graphics. When I go to load a game (in this case quake 3) it will begin to boot, load drivers then crash the system. I know it is a problem with the onboard because I have tried another vid card and it works fine. I have updated the chipset and flashed the bios...still no luck.

2. Hard drive: I have a 160 gig, the bois recognizes that. After installing windows xp, it only recognizes 130 gigs.

3. Onboard network: This thing is a pain, it says it is working, but heh, not really. It won't detect anything on the network, as far as i know I have all the settings correct (unless this piece has some "special" need). After installing a scrapped card, it works fine...but I want the onboard to work, no sense in buying something if it doesn't work.

4. Parallel port: every once in a while when I reboot, the bios will disable the parallel port, and when I go to use my printer...nothing, I have to reboot and enable the port. (I am hoping the bios flash solved this)

Thank you for your time, I am fed up with this board and am 2 seconds from putting it back in the box and sending it back. I have read all the threads on other sites possible, I am hoping someone can help.

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

for video try boot up get into bios
    disable video shadowing
    see if that works
    I am not into gaming
    I hear it uses a lot of memory
    you may have memory problems.
    networking
    on board stuff can be a pain
    check to see if drivers are loaded
    and or problem with system chip
    xp should have drivers for this already
    installed? find out what chip it is.
    I favor intel stuff
    I gave away my trinity with the amd cpu.
    good luck

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot

as to 1: go in the PCI and other settings page, check that PCI (=onboard) is your primary graphics card, not AGP (=external).

as to 2: this is a known problem with HD-limitation within XP. Use Partition Magic to make a second partition out of the rest 30GB.

as to 3 and 4: did you install the nVIDIA-drivers that came with your mobo? If not, install those. See if that solves your problem.

Aslo have a look in this A7N8X-thread:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7934

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.