TechSpot

A7n8x Vs A7n8x-vm

By chris86
Dec 13, 2003
  1. Sorry for starting a new thread about this but i didn't find an asnwer in the other thread.

Im thinking about buying a new motherboard. Now im confused about the differences between A7N8X, A7N8X-VM and A7N8X Deluxe. Which one is best/fastest? I'm also confused about this SATA -thing. I understand that the DELUXE modell supports SATA, but can i still use a "standard" HD drive with the Deluxe or does teh drive have to support SATA? How much better is SATA? Should i consider buying the Deluxe -modell instead and upgrade my HD to SATA?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

Well, I can answer the Deluxe SATA question. You need SATA drives or a PATA-to-SATA converter on each drive to use the SATA controller. You still have two IDE (PATA) connectors on the board to use for older drives and CD/DVD, just like most motherboards. You can disable the SATA controller by means of a motherboard jumper.

SATA in non RAID is faster in burst mode and the SATA drives are a bit faster. The newer large capacity SATA drives are faster than the original version. For real speed the 36GB WD Raptor drives are still the king; they'll be even better when the 72GB version comes out. Set up as RAID you can get ~110 MB/s read/write.

3. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 369

the -vm model has integrated gefoce4 mx440 graphics

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.