SanDisk announces world's fastest 1.5 TB microSD card, and several other storage products

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Western Digital has introduced a handful of new storage products from its SanDisk brand, including what it is calling the world's fastest 1.5 TB high-capacity UHS-I microSD card. SanDisk says the card is ideal for Android smartphones and tablets as well as Chromebooks and Windows laptops.

It boasts transfer speeds up to 150 MB/s when paired with a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD card reader, and is available now for $229.99 with a 10 year limited warranty.

SanDisk's new Pro-Cinema CFexpress Type B card, meanwhile, is being marketed as a Hollywood-quality memory card with minimum sustained write speeds of 1,400 MB/sec. According to Western Digital, this is sufficient to capture cinema-quality 8K video without dropping frames. The card can also withstand physical drops of up to three feet. It is available now starting at $399.99 for a 320 GB card, and comes backed by a lifetime warranty.

Also read: microSD and SD Card Buying Guide -- Classes, Performance, What to Buy

SanDisk also has a new line of SD and microSD cards designed for trail cameras and other devices used outdoors. Cards range in capacities up to 512 GB and cater to HD (1,280 x 720), Full HD (1,920 x 1,080), and 4K (3,840 x 2,160) devices. All come in a bright orange enclosure to help them stand out in nature, and can withstand extreme temperatures as well as submersion in up to a meter of fresh or salt water for up to 72 hours. Pricing starts at just $11.99 for a 32 GB microSD 4K card, and all come backed by a lifetime limited warranty.

Last but not least are updates to SanDisk's Dual Drive Luxe and Dual Drive Go USB Type-C flash drives.

The Luxe line features an all-metal, 2-in-1 design with reversible Type-C / Type-A connectors in your choice of gold or silver colorways with prices starting at $22.99 for 128 GB. The Go line looks to be similar to the Luxe, but in different colors (green, purple, or blue) and with prices starting at $14.99 for a 64 GB model.

Permalink to story.

can't imagine how much it costs for a 2TB microSD if 1TB is already very expensive..
It literally says in the article: $230.
1TB can be found in the $60-90 range.

The real problem is the speed or the lack of speed to be specific.
Most devices dont even support UHS-II, much less UHS-III or god forbid SDExpress speeds.

Yet it's so slow.

It boasts transfer speeds up to 150 MB/s. SanDisk says the card is ideal for Android smartphones and tablets as well as Chromebooks and Windows laptops.

150MB/s or 9GB/min sequential speed is a joke honestly, especially for a card that has 2000GB storage. first we don't even know if it's read or write speed. second the sequential speed only applies when the card is pretty much empty and you're transferring a large block of file (I.e. movie) not when you're dealing with thousands of files (I.e. music or images). in real world tests the speed will go down significantly, especially when the card gets warm.

honestly for me microSD cards are only good for dash cameras or nintendo switch. for anything else you're better off with some other solution. android stopped supporting installing apps into microsd card for the same reason. the random speed is just too slow. for windows laptop? come on, just find a small nvme usb drive and save yourself some time. a regular small-sized usb pendrive has reached its limit.

do you know that samsung actually makes UFS card in 2016? it's not as fast as UFS internal storage in modern phones but it's still so much faster than any microSD period. problem is I have yet to see any devices which uses such thing.

I don't mind the fact that they're slow. Just plug them in and let them chug. Who cares if it takes several days to load them up.

Back