Abnormal crashing while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
About me: Before I start Id like to say I am new to this site (probably noticed) and that I am infamous for creating problems never seen before :)

PS: Doesn't Help I like to get a little custom with my computer.

The problem: When I play certain games my computer likes to randomly turn off in the first 2-4miuntes (cant get 5minutes in)

Info: Confuses me because if I play Battlefield 2 it does not crash at all ever (no matter how high or hard I force stress on the video card or memory) but if I play Lost Planet Extreme Conditions or Prison Break: The Conspiracy even if I bring all the graphics settings and everything to minimum I get no BSOD or anything just instant PC shut off "poof!" (have noticed if I leave the PC on the bed or something it seems to do the same thing when it overheats as a safety feature; oops; but I dont feel this is related because if I leave the PC off for few hours I can boot it up and run a game and crash all within 6minutes but I can leave my PC on my bed for an hour before crashing. I don't do this intentionaly)

PC Info: Specs are Pretty Easy its a Acer Aspire 8930G Laptop 18.4" LCD with
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
4Gb of DDR3 (Its retarded because its 2 ram cards with 2gb each but it my PC tells me I have 2.99gb but its always been like that see windows stuff below)
Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT 512mb

Windows Stuff: Here is where the custom stuff comes in. This laptop was designed for windows vista and 7. And I installed XP. Actually here is what makes no sense to me. This where the problem gets interesting and the reason I didn't really bother doing any scans or anything. For the last year I had "The Last XP 20" illegal copy of windows on my PC and everything work PERFECT! with 150FPS in most games. But the "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting" warning was getting annoying after 9months so I formatted and installed a legitimate copy of XP and I get the problem. I install Last XP again. Works Fine. Install legit copy again. problems back. Oh and windows XP legit or not always say 3gb of ram only tells me 4gb on vista but it always reads 4gb in the BIOS

Whats with the legitimate copy of windows that I cant play games?

That computer will only use 3 GB of the 4 GB of memory installed, and is also borrowing memory to use for video graphics. If you use VISTA or Windows 7, it will use all the memory.

You certainly should not have the "legitimate" windows problem if you removed the old windows, and repartitioned the drive.
As for the gaming, that ACER has a difficult time running Battlefield due to heat issues.

I would open the laptop to clean out any accumulated dust from the fan and heatsink. Some games are more CPU vs. GPU intensive than others which can result in different heat issues. I don't happen to know which is which however. It doesn't matter really. Maximizing your cooling is a good thing regardless.

Just a small correction to what raybay said about the RAM limit. The RAM limitation applies to all 32 bit versions of Windows. 64 bit versions will allow you to see more RAM although the maximum amount can vary depending on the which Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back