About friends XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

learninmypc

I was being helped here https://www.techspot.com/community/...eriously-infected-xp-pro.184956/#post-1228202
& in the process, I went here https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-diagnostic-utilities-compendium.7602/ & ran a check disk but got impatient thinking it had frozen so I shut it down. Long story short, I found a link to do a disk health check but after it ran for well over 30 hours & no progress after 31%, I decided it was time to quit & I did.
I notified the owner & she thanked me for trying since she didn't have the time to do it.
The dead pc will be picked this week. Thanks to all who tried. I'm still learninmypc & others pc's.:)(y)

Hi, Sounds as if the hard drive was failing, or at least a bad sector.
If that was all, I would run a 'Live' Linux O/S from the DVD drive, check all else was working and stable.
It's going to mean buying a new (or known good used) hard drive, and installing a fresh operating system.
If the PC is used only or mainly for the Internet, then a Linux install would be fine, not to mention free.
I spend half my 'on-line' time on a Linux Mint PC, all built from second hand parts, and it's fast and totally reliable.
Linux now uses 'Libre Office' which is fine with MS Word and Excel files.

Hi, Sounds as if the hard drive was failing, or at least a bad sector.
If that was all, I would run a 'Live' Linux O/S from the DVD drive, check all else was working and stable.
It's going to mean buying a new (or known good used) hard drive, and installing a fresh operating system.
If the PC is used only or mainly for the Internet, then a Linux install would be fine, not to mention free.
I spend half my 'on-line' time on a Linux Mint PC, all built from second hand parts, and it's fast and totally reliable.
Linux now uses 'Libre Office' which is fine with MS Word and Excel files.
Thanks but the owner picked it up yesterday.:)

Hmm - - got to have patience when running chkdsk. Consider these newish 1TB drives.
If you launch CHKDSK -F -R X: it will run 5 passes of the 1tb - - that can't be done in ten minutes.

Rule of thumb:
if you're running CHKDSK -F -R, do so Friday night before you go to bed,
  • get up on Saturday, watch all the sports you can find. Have dinner with your friends at the local Pub,
  • Sunday go for brunch with the GF/Wife and watch a good movie.

On Monday morning go to your computer room and then/and only then look to see the results :)

Thanks for all the input, but it only had a 50 gb harddrive I think & since it is now out of my hands, its up to the owner so I wish this thread to come to an end.
I had the opportunity to keep it, but I believe they're going to replace the harddrive & put a W7 on it, I don't know.
So please, I know your intentions are good, but nothing I can do . Thank you.

Yes we all understand the HD has been returned. Hopefully you can learn fro this experience - -
terminating a CHKDSK is a very bad choice and can corrupt the very device you were attempting to fix.

I was hoping you could have reached that conclusion for yourself.

Yes, I understand. Its over & done with & I'm unwatching this thread now. Yes, I learn everyday, thank you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back