Why some Apple Vision Pro early adopters are returning their headsets

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: The Apple Vision Pro launched on February 2 starting at $3,499. One day out from Apple's standard 14-day return window, we're hearing reports that several people are experiencing buyer's remorse and plan to return the device for a refund.

X user Farzad Mesbahi said he purchased his Vision Pro on launch day and despite all of its benefits, there are just some things he can't get over. Long-term comfort was one major concern. It's fine for an hour or two, Mesbahi said, but after a couple of hours it just becomes cumbersome due to its size and weight.

Another gripe Mesbahi had with the headset had to do with typing. Without a mouse and keyboard, being super productive while using Vision Pro is tough. What's more, the pass-through video feature where the front cameras feed a live video stream to the lenses inside the headset is quite grainy, even in brightly-lit environments.

Ben Schmanke agreed that the headset is simply too heavy, which leads to discomfort and ultimately his reason for returning it.

Another early adopter, Adam Preiser, said the headset gives him a bad headache and motion sickness during use. In fairness, Preiser said he had eye survey as a toddler that resulted in him only being able to use one eye at a time, and the sensory overload seemingly makes the headset not all that fun to use.

Also read: Mark Zuckerberg says the Meta Quest 3 is a "better product" than Apple Vision Pro... period

Parker Ortolani, a product manager with The Verge, believes the headset led to a burst blood vessel in one of his eyes. Another user reported redness in one of their eyes after using the wearable although again, in fairness, eye issues and VR headsets aren't a new phenomenon.

Others, like Alexander Torrenegra, simply couldn't find enough use cases to justify keeping it.

Have you had a chance to check out the Apple Vision Pro yet? Some believe it's innovative enough to eventually cannibalize other Apple product lines like the iPad, but it could take as many as four revisions before it feels complete.

Image credit: Vjeran Pavic

Permalink to story.

People should be honest about their returns and face the truth.

Price is the primary reason for the return as everything they complained about could be easily dealt with if the headset was just $700.00 bucks
If they weren't 3500 then I don't think people would care about comfort or usability inconveniences. But for $3500 you can buy a decent used car or pay your mortgage for a couple months. I saw the video of the kid using his on a train in New York, I'm sure he'd rather pay his rent than have this nonsense and that's really what Apple is competing with. If someone is going to charge an ultra luxury price then the product ought to be perfect. And we all know Apple has a habit over over charging for its products. The vision pro is basically an iPad but one that's strapped to your face for hours at a time. I agree that it gets uncomfortable and after only about 30 minutes which is why I think Apple limits the test in store. Anymore than 15-20 minutes and you start feeling the foam around your eyes and head. It's not heavy, but you also start to feel it's weight after about that period of time, too. The software is awesome and the function it is trying to fulfill works perfectly, but it's a $3500 gimmick.

Streamers streamed, time to return. No use-case that justifies keeping it. Just think, soon you will be able to buy a Vsion Pro on Apple’s returb site at a $200! discount.

This is really scraping the barrel bottom for an anti-Apple story. The headset caused a "burst blood vessel" in someone's eye? Really? It reminds me of a long-ago user who claimed his spreadsheet app caused the glass on his tube-style CRT monitor to crack. And any visually-immersive system is going to cause motion sickness in sensitive individuals, even a basic large-format TV. And while the Vision Pro isn't light, it's considerably less heavy than the Valve Index headset.

We aren't (people), by design, meant to wear these headsets for long periods of time....

https://nypost.com/2022/01/29/gamer-breaks-neck-while-wearing-virtual-reality-headset/

Wearing nearly 1.5 pound headset for long periods of every day is not okay for you. A short while here and there isn't an issue, but if these companies think that wearing this extra weight on your head and they expect you to do it for hours on end, day in and day out, they're out of their fricking minds.

1.5 pounds doesn't sound like much. The average cell phone is around 6 ounces. Imagine stacking 4 of them and then strapping them to your forehead for multiple hours every day....

The issues identified here are no different from what others have experienced with most VR/AR headsets. Just because this is an Apple product does not take away the problem magically. I honestly feel that even if Apple lowers the price, it’s not going to make it either.

….and this is why most Americans have less than $50 saved in their retirement account(s) ….

Instead of just pulling a random, extremely low number out of thin air, you could always try honesty.

https://www.fool.com/research/average-retirement-savings/

And those are, as stated, _averages_. The amount saved varies dramatically, and obviously, by how many years one has been in the workforce and contributing to those savings. It also varies by COL wherever one lives, average salaries in those regions, tax rates and incentives, etc.

Your figure is just clickbait.

"Others, like Alexander Torrenegra, simply couldn't find enough use cases to justify keeping it." That's a point I keep making. I'm sure it's super cool, but once the fresh experience is over, then what is it used for?

Last edited:
People should be honest about their returns and face the truth.

Price is the primary reason for the return as everything they complained about could be easily dealt with if the headset was just $700.00 bucks
With a lack of software and a real purpose it's pointless at every price.

We aren't (people), by design, meant to wear these headsets for long periods of time....

https://nypost.com/2022/01/29/gamer-breaks-neck-while-wearing-virtual-reality-headset/

Wearing nearly 1.5 pound headset for long periods of every day is not okay for you. A short while here and there isn't an issue, but if these companies think that wearing this extra weight on your head and they expect you to do it for hours on end, day in and day out, they're out of their fricking minds.

1.5 pounds doesn't sound like much. The average cell phone is around 6 ounces. Imagine stacking 4 of them and then strapping them to your forehead for multiple hours every day....
Kevlar helmets would like to have a conversation with you.

With a lack of software and a real purpose it's pointless at every price.
Eh? The "purpose" is more visual immersion, and only a fool would dispute that VR goggles deliver on that front. As for software, the Apple Vision Pro is already supported by 250+ games, 600 spatial-enabled apps, and over one million pre-existing compatible apps that can be used in spatial mode. Care to try again?

Eh? The "purpose" is more visual immersion, and only a fool would dispute that VR goggles deliver on that front. As for software, the Apple Vision Pro is already supported by 250+ games, 600 spatial-enabled apps, and over one million pre-existing compatible apps that can be used in spatial mode. Care to try again?
Visual immersion to do what? That list of software was there before the vision pro was released on other devices like the iPad or iPhone. "Care to try again"? You've not justified paying $3500 for a device that doesn't do much once the wow factor has worn off. No one is talking about a specific app that makes the device worth using and you didn't name a single Vision Pro only app.

Kevlar helmets would like to have a conversation with you.
So a helmet that's designed to distribute the weight over the entire area of the head is the same as VR goggles that has the weight hanging from the forehead.....

Huh. I guess they are the same. Thanks for clearing that up! 🙄

Don't give me any ideas.

So a helmet that's designed to distribute the weight over the entire area of the head is the same as VR goggles that has the weight hanging from the forehead.....

Huh. I guess they are the same. Thanks for clearing that up! 🙄

They should have taken a cue from NODs and put the battery pack on the back of the strap to counterbalance the weight of the unit. It's not going to remove the strain, but you can go for longer if the load is distributed evenly onto your neck. I don't know why they settled on having a pocket battery.

Back