About hidden folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kserijaro

Anyway.The problem isn't big,but kinda annoying.Last few months I have been killing renegade viruses on my PC,with great accuracy thanks to the TS forums..Now,only one tiny thing remained i did not notice at the 1st hand.And i confirmed it today.I made a "test" named folder with no files in it.I right-clicked the folder and the options show.I went in properties.I deselect Read-only and select hidden.Then I pressed Apply and ok to close the options.Desired effect was shown:Folder was indeed hidden.And now the deal...I went to folder options to enable the View hidden folders .I click apply and ok ,and nothing..."test" is still hidden and doing ctrl+a tells me there is one hidden folder and i should enable View hidden folders to see it.I have never seen this message,and it is strange that folder options don't react to commands.Basically ,
Folder options revert to own set of rules after i click ok.Is there easy way to fix this?

I have this sort of problem, but the folder is so well hidden that "Show hidden files and folders" doesn't reveal it. The only way to access it is to type the path into the address bar. If someone could help fix this it would be really helpful.

Follow all the steps precisely

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type regedit and click Ok.
3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
4. Look at the “CheckedValue” key… This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key.
5. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
6. The “Show hidden files & folders” check box should now work normally
7. Also change in NOHIDDEN change value to 1
8. In SHOWALL change value to 0
9. Re-check the folder options
10. now change the values to the same
NOHIDDEN to 2
SHOWALL to 1

Strange, but has worked before.

@Kimsland
Thank you,setting the CheckedValue to 1 fixed my problem completely.So,creation of new value wasn't necessary ,for it had DWORD as posted.Thank you again!

Thank-you for the replies

Many support members are not aware of this reset trick. That does seem to work most of the time. In all cases I have seen this issue, I have done the above as the first option to solving it, in 9 out of 10 cases it works :)

Eh, didn't seem to work for me. This problem doesn't seem to be registry related for me, it seems to be an actual file system setting that I cant change, because they are hidden in both Vista and XP.

I'm not sure, it's my entire user folder that has hidden itself. (not pron tmagic :p) How would I un-system file attribute it?

How would I un-system file attribute it?

Open Control Panel
Then Folder Options
View tab
Un-check "Hide protective operating system files"
Ok (or yes prompt)
Apply
ok

Refresh your folder again (just re-open it, to view your files)

Now can you see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back