About npctrl.dll

learninmypc

On the extremely rare chance I use IE8, a couple days ago I clicked the IE icon & instead of it going to my homepage,it went to msn.com & there was a browser wide notice telling me I need to install npctrl.dll IF I trust Microsoft.
I googled it & amongst the results I saw this http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/npctrl/403908/
My Microsoft Silverlight is up to date so I simly want to know if I truly need to install it or not?
Plus, ALL my scans come up clean. TIA

Not sure why it wasn't installed when you installed Silverlight. It's not in the default folder? In my case, it's "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.0.61118.0".

Looks like FF uses this file also.

Not sure why it wasn't installed when you installed Silverlight. It's not in the default folder? In my case, it's "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.0.61118.0".

Looks like FF uses this file also.

I followed your path & it shows in there so I guess I'm :confused:

Is it enabled in Manage Add-ons under Internet Options? If not, try enabling it, if already enabled, let it install the file when prompted. I don't think it will pose any problems.

Is it enabled in Manage Add-ons under Internet Options? If not, try enabling it, if already enabled, let it install the file when prompted. I don't think it will pose any problems.

Yep, it shows as enabled. I'll click the thingy & see what happens. Will post back,too.

Well, it seems to be working now. I simply had to click the info bar & no download. Will post back if it changes.

Ok, so I spoke too soon :(. I've run all my scans M-bam,Spybot,MSE,Eset & SAS & they all came up clean yet on the extremely rare occasion I use IE,it now goes to msn.com & not my home page which is http://www.kirotv.com/
UNfortunatly I've deleted the scan logs:( Any ideas?

Ok, I believe I fixed the problem.
Evidently on one of the SUPERantispyware program updates,I neglected to go into the Preferences>Hijack Protection Tab & put my home page in . Prior to doing such, my IE 8 went to msn.com . I put my home page in SAS ,clicked ok & X'd out of SAS ,rebooted & upon opening IE,it went to my NORMAL home page,NOT MSN. YES:)(y)

Guess I've been lucky, haven't had the problem of homepage being changed.
Well, only time will tell for sure. But since I did the correction, about 5 days ago, it hasn't gone back yet.
I'm hoping it don't. I didn't want to post the correction till I knew "matter of factly", but since I mentioned it in another thread,I figured I'd do so here. So far so good.:)

Back