About  npctrl.dll

By learninmypc
Apr 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. On the extremely rare chance I use IE8, a couple days ago I clicked the IE icon & instead of it going to my homepage,it went to msn.com & there was a browser wide notice telling me I need to install npctrl.dll IF I trust Microsoft.
    I googled it & amongst the results I saw this http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/npctrl/403908/
    My Microsoft Silverlight is up to date so I simly want to know if I truly need to install it or not?
    Plus, ALL my scans come up clean. TIA
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,172   +229

Well, I'm guessing there is no solution?
  3. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 891   +39

Not sure why it wasn't installed when you installed Silverlight. It's not in the default folder? In my case, it's "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.0.61118.0".

Looks like FF uses this file also.
  4. learninmypc

I followed your path & it shows in there so I guess I'm :confused:
  5. Rabbit01

Is it enabled in Manage Add-ons under Internet Options? If not, try enabling it, if already enabled, let it install the file when prompted. I don't think it will pose any problems.
  6. learninmypc

Yep, it shows as enabled. I'll click the thingy & see what happens. Will post back,too.
  7. learninmypc

Well, it seems to be working now. I simply had to click the info bar & no download. Will post back if it changes.
  8. learninmypc

Ok, so I spoke too soon :(. I've run all my scans M-bam,Spybot,MSE,Eset & SAS & they all came up clean yet on the extremely rare occasion I use IE,it now goes to msn.com & not my home page which is http://www.kirotv.com/
    UNfortunatly I've deleted the scan logs:( Any ideas?
  9. learninmypc

Ok, I believe I fixed the problem.
    Evidently on one of the SUPERantispyware program updates,I neglected to go into the Preferences>Hijack Protection Tab & put my home page in . Prior to doing such, my IE 8 went to msn.com . I put my home page in SAS ,clicked ok & X'd out of SAS ,rebooted & upon opening IE,it went to my NORMAL home page,NOT MSN. YES:)(y)
  10. Rabbit01

Guess I've been lucky, haven't had the problem of homepage being changed.
  11. learninmypc

Well, only time will tell for sure. But since I did the correction, about 5 days ago, it hasn't gone back yet.
    I'm hoping it don't. I didn't want to post the correction till I knew "matter of factly", but since I mentioned it in another thread,I figured I'd do so here. So far so good.:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.