About PCI and PCIe x16 slot

1. Hi friends,

I am not a computer savvy and all I wanted to know what is PCI, PCle x16, PCle x1 slot. As, my mother board had came up with these facilities and I don't know what the use of this slots and how can they helpful for me. So need a detailed explanation over these structures.

Has my mother board has 1 x PCle x16 slot
    1 x PCle x1 slot
    2 x PCI slots
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

The PCIe x16 slot is for GPUs, it is the highest bandwidth of them all. I can explain more later, I am in a rush now.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

As JC explains the PCI-E x16 is usually for dedicated graphics cards, the others can be for sound cards, wireless cards, TV tuners, etc.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,390   +205

Although the PCI-E x 16 slot is usually used for graphics cards, you can also fit PCI-E x 1 or PCI-E x 4 cards too. Since some motherboards have more than one PCI-E x 16 sized slot (though they may run at x 8 or less), you can make use of them for other expansion cards if you aren't running multiple graphics cards.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

A simple "PCI" slot is pretty much worthless today. They are just included for 'legacy' purposes. Pretty much, if you don't know you need a regular PCI slot, then you don't need one. Almost everything has a PCIe alternative now, you'd know if you required a regular PCI.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.