TechSpot

AC97 vs anything

By sellmesanity
Aug 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it true that any PCI card is better than any onboard solution? My epox-9npa+ ultra comes with this AC97 Realtek AKA Nvidia Audio onboard solution. Would the pci card make a huge difference in anything? I am planning to get a mid-range card like an Audigy or something and I want to know the benefits or if it is worth my time and money. Thanks.
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,536   +318

It's been a while since I use on-board audio, however my experience has always been there is a lot of difference if you want to play games or play music on a good set of PC speakers (anything like Logitech 2.1 speakers or better). Even a standard Audigy should prove way better than on-board... however I would still wait for more users input in this thread before you make up your mind.
  3. sellmesanity

sellmesanity TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 268

Thank you for responding, Julio. What about the technical aspects and advantages of getting a PCI sound card? Does it help the CPU perform substantially better in games? Has anyone had onboard and went to PCI and noticed an improvement in performance anywhere?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.