Access Denied on non active My Documents

By alanmaul
Jan 20, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am running Windows XP Pro. I have a crashed drive form a Windows Vista Home Premium computer. I am logged onto XP as the administrator. I have the Vista disk attached via an SATA/USB adapter. I tried copying the /Users/<username> directory to another disk from the Vista disk. I get the Access Denied message. I have gone to the Users directory and taken ownership of /Users and all subdirectories. If I right click on the /Users/<username>/My Documents directory I do not get a security tab, but I do get the security tab on either /Users or /Users/<username>.

Anyone know of a solution. The Vista Drive is not bootable, and there is about 3BG of data in My Documents that I really need to save.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

3. alanmaul

alanmaul Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Im trying to open a windows vista file on a windows XP system. Those were exactly the steps that I tried with no success. I received my new drive and reloaded the Windows vista system on the new drive them mounted the old windows Vista drive as drive F. Then I was able to take ownership and resolve my problem. Still don't know why I couldn't from Windows XP, but it is no longer a problem. I'll save that for next time. Thanks for the help!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.