TechSpot

Access Denied

By SaucyDee
Aug 23, 2009
  1. My mum's PC screwed up so she recovered it using recovery console. That is all good but when you try to access any of the users folders (that were copied to a backup folder when windows was repaired) now says access denied when you try to access it. We are logged on with a computer administrator account already.

I would love to be able to get to the pictures I had saved in there from before I left home.

The PC is running Windows XP Home SP3.

Thanks

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

If it's actually a permission problem, one of these program may help restore it:

RatsCheddar
    It is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.
    • 1Download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop.
    • 2Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop.
    • 3Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
    • 4Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
    • 5Restart your computer.
    Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any
    other Operating System.

OR

FixPolicies.exe from Bill Castner:
    • 1Download FixPolicies by Bill Castner and save to your desktop
    • 2Double click on FixPolicies.exe to run it.
    • 3Click on Install. It will create a folder named FixPolicies on your desktop.
    • 4Open the FixPolicies folder.
    • 5Double click on Fix_policies.cmd to run it. Command Prompt will open and close quickly; this is normal.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.