Accessing documents and settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhawk

i need to move all my music from my hard drive to my terrabyte usb hard drive, to save space

i thought-probably wrongly- that i could find my music in documents and settings and cut it and paste it into the big hard drive,

documents and settings live in c: peter and if i click on that it won't let me open it.

is there a way to get into documents and settings to remove my music?

i don't understand anything remotely technical about computers,so help in really simple terms would be wonderful if anyone could be kind enough to spare the time to try to help me

best

pete

ps i'm using windows xp home and the HD is notionally 80 gig, the computer is of no brand(?generic?)and was built for me my a local lad many years ago

Have you tried looking under My Documents, the documents and settings folder may be protected. There may be a My Music folder under My Documents.

If you log in as Administrator you should have access to the "documents and settings" folder.

Another thing you could do is just do a search in Windows for all MP3 files and see where they are on the hard drive. Search is normally right in the Start menu.

thank you very much, i think i must be the administrator as it is my computer and by my picture it says peter own administrator.

i did cut my music but when i tried to paste it into the other hard drive, it would not let me, but did not say why except it could not read something

Are you able to use something like XCOPY from a command prompt?

Another option would be to try a free backup application like Cobian backup. Have it only backup MP3 files to the new drive.

i tend to copy all my cds onto my computer using media player, so i'd like to keep them as albums rather than thousands of tracks of whatever format; also my blackberyy only likes windows music player format or whatever that is -i "think"

so my plan is to move all my music off the hard drive onto the terrabyte usb drive to make more space on the hard drive, if that makes any sense, but i want to keep them as albums with the track names on them

thank you very much for trying to help me

best

pete

Xcopy or a backup application will not change the names or directory structure. It would simple copy the directories from one location to another.

If your music was in C:\MP3 you could just copy that folder to the external drive using either method.

i "think"that windows media player rips music to c/documents and settings/my music- so that is what i want to"move"not copy

the aim is to save space on the hard drive

i'm sorry if i'm being obtuse, i'm just not very bright about these things

Welcome to Windows.;)

First locate the music files, then use the xcopy the directory as JMMD says.

Once youe are sure, that the music is safely in the desired location, delete it from the hard disk.

xcopy/? will reveal all the available options, to you.

thanks but i could not understand x copy or cobian

i suppose it is simplest just to copy over my music and then delete it

i'm too stupid for complicated computer things.

in the folder "my documents" is another folder "my music"...you should be able to just copy and paste this folder from windows to your usb drive. not long ago, i did the same with "my pictures"...it works...

thanks i'll just do that then.

i can't make head nor tail of that cobian thing;too complicated for old fools like me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back