TechSpot

accessing FAT via NTFS file systems - win xp pro

By bhp
Dec 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I had this problem "NTFS.SYS, error 24". Got the blue screen, could not boot any which way. The ntfs.sys has been corrupted some how. I have critical information on the hard drive that I am trying to retrieve. I'm almost to teh point of calling a data retreival company, but i heard they are expensive.

I installed a new hard drive, loaded win xp pro. put the old hard drive in the secondary bay, and set it not to a slave but to an "alternate capacity" with the jumper block little thingamajig on the pins of the actual hard drive. (by the way, i did this by accedent, when i set it to slave, i got the ntfs.sys error again). with the alternate capacity set, I was able to see both new hard drive C, and old currupted hard drive F. but when I tried to open the F drive, i could not see the contents, it says it's fat, can't access, want to format, etc.

So I think if there is a way to access this FAT HD from the NTFS drive, i could be in business. Not sure but it's worth a try. what do you guys think?

your advice/help is appreciated.
    Brian

2. bhp

bhp TS Rookie Topic Starter

what if i convert the fat to ntfs - will i delete any data?

what if i convert the fat to ntfs - will i delete any data?
    ======

Dos SYNTAX

Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
    /FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume to be converted to NTFS.
    /V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.

EXAMPLES

convert d: /fs:ntfs - Convert the d: drive which in this example is a FAT volume to a NTFS volume. Note, if this volume is anything other than FAT, such as NTFS or RAW this command will generate an error.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.