accessing FAT via NTFS file systems - win xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhp

Hi all,

I had this problem "NTFS.SYS, error 24". Got the blue screen, could not boot any which way. The ntfs.sys has been corrupted some how. I have critical information on the hard drive that I am trying to retrieve. I'm almost to teh point of calling a data retreival company, but i heard they are expensive.

I installed a new hard drive, loaded win xp pro. put the old hard drive in the secondary bay, and set it not to a slave but to an "alternate capacity" with the jumper block little thingamajig on the pins of the actual hard drive. (by the way, i did this by accedent, when i set it to slave, i got the ntfs.sys error again). with the alternate capacity set, I was able to see both new hard drive C, and old currupted hard drive F. but when I tried to open the F drive, i could not see the contents, it says it's fat, can't access, want to format, etc.

So I think if there is a way to access this FAT HD from the NTFS drive, i could be in business. Not sure but it's worth a try. what do you guys think?

your advice/help is appreciated.
Brian

what if i convert the fat to ntfs - will i delete any data?

what if i convert the fat to ntfs - will i delete any data?
======

Dos SYNTAX

Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.

EXAMPLES

convert d: /fs:ntfs - Convert the d: drive which in this example is a FAT volume to a NTFS volume. Note, if this volume is anything other than FAT, such as NTFS or RAW this command will generate an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back